5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2009 1:31 PM by ninja

Allowing Entry In A Field based on criteria from another field

jeffd

Title

Allowing Entry In A Field based on criteria from another field

Is there a way to hide or show a field based on the data entered into a different field? e.g. The first field is required a "Yes" or "No" entry. If "Yes" in first field then  a second field becomes visible or allows entry into that field. How do I accomplish this?

• 1. Re: Allowing Entry In A Field based on criteria from another field
          ninja

howdy BamaJJ,

Thanks for the post.

In File>Define>Accounts and Privileges you can set privileges per record to custom.

Within this, you can set view and edit to "limited" which is judged against a calculation.

Is this what you're after?

You could have the calculation be {access granted if} Field1="Yes" or {access granted if} Field1>Field2, etc.

• 2. Re: Allowing Entry In A Field based on criteria from another field
            jeffd

I'm not after setting the privileges for the whole record based on a "Yes" or "No" inputted in the first field. I only want to allow access into a particular field, say field #2, based on the Yes or No.

• 3. Re: Allowing Entry In A Field based on criteria from another field
              ninja

howdy BamaJJ,

Understood.  You won't be setting privileges for the whole record...just the fields you tell it you want restricted.  The record section in account privileges is where you find the subsection of "Fields".

My earlier post is still correct.  Give it a try and let me know if it is what you were after.

• 4. Re: Allowing Entry In A Field based on criteria from another field
                jeffd

Okay Ninja,

I do follow what you're saying but I still not clear on one thing.

You show {access granted if} Field1="Yes" as the calculation example I can use. Can you be a little more specific please. When I say view limited and the specify calculation box comes up, how do I write the calculation? How do I tell it that I want access in only in Field2 if Field1 = "Yes". Evidently I am missing just that one part of the puzzle.

Thanks for your time.

• 5. Re: Allowing Entry In A Field based on criteria from another field
                  ninja

BamaJJ,

BamaJJ wrote:

When I say view limited and the specify calculation box comes up, how do I write the calculation? How do I tell it that I want access in only in Field2 if Field1 = "Yes".

In the calculation box you would put:

Field1 = "Yes"

That's it...that simple.  Select "Field1" or whatever it is called in your Dbase from the window on the top left, click the equals sign in the top center, click the quotations sign in the top center then type Yes.  Hit OK a few times and give it a look from a restricted user account.

In other words (if needed) treat the calculation box as saying "I can show the contents of this field when ... "