1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 27, 2013 6:33 AM by philmodjunk

Alpha bar

gldiaz

Title

Alpha bar

Hello All,

I am in need to understand a couple of items.

1. I need to have either a method to obtain a "Alpha Bar", which has 0-9 and A-Z buttons, so I can
               request a search of either Persons Names or Business Locations, starting with a Letter I select.

I.e.  0-9  A   B   C   D   etc.
              I am not sure if a portal would be best to generate, with a TAB of Persons, starting with the Letter A,
              and the Alpha Bar would be listed above to allow me to get and select Persons with a different letter, which
              would then replace the list of defaulted Names starting In A's to the newly selected letter of choice.

So, in essence, let say I have a layout with Name information, i.e Name, Address, Wk type etc., listed in TAB,
           of PERSONS, LOCATIONS and Work Order#.
           The default is a Alpha listed name of PERSONS,  giving me FUll Names starting In A's., I hope to go to the
           Alpha Bar, and Choose, If I need "Let's say another letter".  I chose it and list comes up replacing in the box
           the new names, starting with that letter. Let's say, [S],  I get a list replacing the A's with the S's.

The same process would be need for LOCATIONS.
           If I select the Tab, of Location, the default list will start with Locations, by Name, i.e.
           Adams Factory
           Arizona Wines
           Atwell Tires  etc.

I then need to select from the drop down, Let's say, Arizona Wines - I then get the Layout for Locations and a
           population of informaton in the Location Layout of Arizon Wines.

I think I know what I am hoping for, but maybe too lenghty in explaining,

#2.  Are Alpha Bar buttons already available? Where would I look for them and aquire them,

Thanks

GDiaz

• 1. Re: Alpha bar
          philmodjunk

There isn't an "alphabar" that you can just add to your database, but you can make your own fairly easily. You could set up 36 buttons that each pass a different letter or digit to the same script as a script parameter to be used as criteria in a find. And a portal could filter on the letter chosen also so either approach can work. But you and your users may find it simpler just to enter that single letter in a field and get teh same result. Not only can this do what you describe with your letter, but a user can enter multiple letters and get a list of all records that start with or contain that text. See the selection portals in this demo file for an example:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0pm1gdqcfi2ndpv/EnhancedValueSelection.fp7

If you are using FileMaker 12, open this file from the File menu to get a copy converted to .fmp12 format.

I then need to select from the drop down,

Now that's a little different. So you want a value list of names starting with the letter selected? Such is called a conditional value list:

Such could be done if your buttons set a match field to the letter/digit passed as a parameter that matches to a calculation field that uses Left ( yourFIeld ; 1 ) to return just the first letter.

Here are some links on conditional value lists.

There's a lot of overlap between the first two links so you can read one and skim the other. The demo file gives you several examples of different conditional value lists so you can examine them to see how they are set up. If you are using FileMaker 12, you can open this demo file from your File menu to get a converted copy of the demo file that you can examine in FileMaker 12.

The last link discusses how to set up a chain of conditional value lists where the value selected in each conditional value list controls the values listed in the next value list.

Forum Tutorial: Custom Value List?

Knowledgebase article: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/kw/conditional%20value%20list

Demo File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6qf0z9fnem3uxd/ConditionalValueListDemo.fp7

Hierarchical Conditional Value lists: Conditional Value List Question

Feel free to post follow up questions here if those links aren't enough to get your value lists working correctly.

And you may also find this link on scripted finds useful: Scripted Find Examples