2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2010 11:06 AM by philmodjunk

Alphabetical sorting

Pedorthist

Title

Alphabetical sorting

I am new to databases and Filemaker in particular.  Have been learning about all features.

I have a functioning database with 4200 patient records created and it is working well.  Here is my question.

When one of my employees enters a new record the records are, of course, kept in the order in which they were entered.  When a search is performed not all records for a lastname are located.

It seems to be resolved if I do a manual alpha sort of the db by lastname.

I know there must be a way to write a script to automatically do an alpha sort after each new record is entered.  I just don't know how to write this script so that it can be automatically executed, invisible to the user.

• 1. Re: Alphabetical sorting
          mrvodka

Pedorthist wrote:

When a search is performed not all records for a lastname are located.

Why would be the first question.

As for your question, if you have 10 or higher, you could use a script trigger to run your sort script.

• 2. Re: Alphabetical sorting
            philmodjunk

I have seen this behavior when the index to a field was corrupted.

You might try re-indexing the field or importing your data into a clone of your file.

To re-index a field you simply set it's indexing option to off, close and re-open manage database, and then turn it back on.