4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2011 8:43 AM by philmodjunk

Alter value list according to access priveledges

MikeJackson

Title

Alter value list according to access priveledges

Hi, I am relatively new to Filemaker and have been asked to add some functionality to an already built database. I have been asked to restrict access to a drop down menu. The menu as it is, is restricted to allow only administrators to use this menu to change the type of record, however now they would like some of theses values to be accesible to staff members.

Would I be correct in assuming that in order to do this I would need to set up conditional value lists or is there a method where I can swap the value list to another once the level of priveledge has been ascertained.

• 1. Re: Alter value list according to access priveledges
          philmodjunk

I'd use a conditional value list for this.

is there a method where I can swap the value list to another once the level of priveledge has been ascertained.

Well you could have two layouts that look identical but for the value list used in this field. Your scripts that control user navigation can then select the appropriate layout for a given user. The downside is that you now have two nearly identical layouts to maintain and this means any future layout design changes have to made exactly the same way twice to keep these layouts the same in all other aspects.

If you are not sure how to set up a conditional value list for this, let me know and I'll describe that approach in more detail.

• 2. Re: Alter value list according to access priveledges
            MikeJackson

Thanks PhilModJunk, I think I will try the conditional value list first, there are a lot of layouts to maintain, however may try also as learning excersise. I will definately give you a shout if I get stuck. Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Alter value list according to access priveledges
              MikeJackson

I have looked at doing a conditional value list and that itself looks quite simple, however not sure how to apply it to the database we have. Can I get only certain values to show under certain conditions:

1) Can I limit what people see and still get all of the fields to show in a search.

2) Can I get the list to only show on certain records depending on the record type.

3) Can the list then be set to only alter the field on certain records with a restricted choice.

Hope this makes sense, I'm a little confused myself. Basically it has to work so that only certain people can change a limited amount of records to certain fields depending on the record type, and administrators can change all records.

• 4. Re: Alter value list according to access priveledges
                philmodjunk

You have two different, but related issues to resolve: Record Level Access controls where you use manage security to control what records, layouts etc are accessible for a given user and conditional value lists which can use a field that checks the privilege set name of the person who is logged in to filter the total list of values to just those appropriate for that filter set.

1) yes, but I can read 'all the fields to show in a search' at least two ways. You can control what layouts are accessible to a given user with access cvontrols and scripting. Access to the fields is controlled by your security settings and scripts can be run that run as "full access" to temporarily avoid those restrictions. You'll need to spell out exactly what you are trying to do here.

2) Yes, This would be part of how you set up the conditional value list or you can have more than one layout and scripts can switch layouts based on record type. (The second option allows you to have the very existance of a value list seemlessly disappear on a given record. The first might produce an empty value list that still pops up if you have records where no values at all should be accessible.

3) THis can be controlled with record level access control or possibly through scripting. The latter can be done more easily, but the first option is more secure.

If you haven't read this article on record level access control already:  See "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and check out this particular sub section: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" for a detailed description of how to set this up.