AnsweredAssumed Answered

Alternative parts in Filemaker Pro

Question asked by AlarS. on Jan 29, 2015
Latest reply on Mar 4, 2015 by philmodjunk

Title

Alternative parts in Filemaker Pro

Hi!

I have a table of products (about 3500 records). Table has key fields: part number, description, quantity.

Not all of the 3500 products are unique, but many of them are alternatives to other parts in the same selection. Could you suggest how can I manage this: On one record, choose 2+ different records to show as alternatives?

E.g. I have 5 O-rings: O1, O2, O3, O4, O5 in my catalogue. 3 of them are alternatives to each other (O1, O3, O4). So after I make my selection (via a portal?!) on record O1, that O3 and O4 are alternative parts to this, then record O3 shows that its alternatives are O1 and O4, and similarly O4 shows O1 and O3 as its alternatives. O2 and O5 would be left alone.

This way I could calculate total quantity that includes also alternative part's quantities.

At the moment I have a separate text field into which I manually write each alternative part numbers. This is little help only for searching but not at all perfect.

If someone could direct me on the right course I would really appreciate it!

P.S. Googleing this problem didn't help, it showd me alternative products for Filemaker instead.

Thanks,
Alar

Outcomes