2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2013 3:31 PM by IanLenehan

Alternative to Importing Large File

IanLenehan

Title

Alternative to Importing Large File

Hi Everyone

I have a large file that I need to import into my Filemaker Pro 12 database daily; sometimes twice a day. I import from an Excel sheet which has around 35,000 records (and maybe around 10 fields in each record). The import takes forever, and I'm hoping to find a workaround that saves me time.

I need to import this file as there are certain fields in here that change daily and regulary. This information is pulled from another database that I am working alongside.

I've tried a script that deletes all records, and imports everything as a new record. I'm currently updating matching records. I don't know which is quicker but they both take forever.

In Access, you can link to an external Excel spreadsheet as a data source - this would be the ideal solution here, I think. Can this be done?

If not, does anyone have any suggestions to speed up this process for me?

Thanks!

Ian

• 1. Re: Alternative to Importing Large File
          philmodjunk

If you can set up a named range in the excel spreadsheet, then you might be able to import just the records in the named range. I doubt that will work for you here though.

It is possible, I have read, to use ODBC to link FileMaker to an Excel File as a data source for your database. I'd check into that option as you can then use one of two methods for importing data from the ODBC data source into a table in FileMaker. I seem to recall that at least one method uses a SQL query so you should be able to limit which rows of data from the excel file get imported.

• 2. Re: Alternative to Importing Large File
            IanLenehan

Thank you for your answer, I'll see if I can find out more about that. I'll post back here if I do!

Cheers

Ian