AnsweredAssumed Answered

Amateur - Creating a new customer Database

Question asked by AndyMurphy on Aug 15, 2012
Latest reply on Aug 15, 2012 by philmodjunk

Title

Amateur - Creating a new customer Database

Hello,

Please bear with me, I am new to databases, but understand how they work, but may not know all of the lingo.  I think Filemaker Pro is the right program for me, but am not sure.  I am currently trying the 30 day trial.  If I can figure out how to make the database(s) that I want, I will certainly purchase as it seams very affordable.

I am very confused if I need different files saved as different things, or if I can create different tables within the same database.  I have tried to create multiple tables, but can't figure out how to.

What I am trying to do:

I want to create a customer database to track quotes and orders.  We are a little unique in that all of our products are custom made for each customer.  

Each Item we quote is different for each customer, therefore I can't have a "set list of items for sale".  Also to further complicate things, each quantity we quote has a different price.  

I would like to be able to search a customer for all of the items we quoted, click on an item, and see all of the quantities and the pricing.  If they order that item, I would like to have a record of that.

Currently we just use an invoicing program (Quickbooks) to issue invoices on products sold, but all items are categorized together.  Also, quotes are hand written, and filed in file cabinets by customer.

There are industry specific programs available to track sales and quotes (Kiwiplan, Harry-Rhodes Systems, Advantzware, and others) but they cost tens of thousands of dollars.  Being a small business, I don't see the expense in those systems.

Can Filemaker do what I am hoping it can?  Any "Filemaker for dummies" type books or guides anyone can recommend?

Thank you in advance for your help.

-Andy

Outcomes