4 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2015 7:14 PM by gfr92y

An "FMP 13 / FMG for Android" question by Captain Obvious' kid brother...

gfr92y

Title

An "FMP 13 / FMG for Android" question by Captain Obvious' kid brother...

Having read the 30 or so posts regarding Android compatibility, it appears obvious to me that Filemaker is absolutely committed to doing nothing for any class of cell phones and/or tablets other than those sold by Apple.

The definition of crazy is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results.

I guess I have two options... (1) Go crazy over this by hoping and looking for an Adroid compatible version of FMP/FMG, or (2) Accept what should already be obvious: Filemaker not working on Androids is just another competitive barrier it has successfully deployed.

Here goes my first step toward crazy...

Does anyone disagree?  We we some day have an Android compabible version of FMP/FMG? I hope so. I really do hope so.

OK, mom, I will put my helmut on and take my meds...

Oh, I almost forgot. Happy birthday, Mr. Frog. Bye until later.

Joe

Some day, right?

I hope so... I really do. I do. OK, MOM!

• 1. Re: An "FMP 13 / FMG for Android" question by Captain Obvious' kid brother...
          philmodjunk

This post would be better posted in FeedBack.

There was mention by a poster of a 3rd party Android app that could open FileMaker files. The developer cautioned that it was very primitive but that if he got enough interest from users, he'd be attempting to upgrade its capabilities. He posted this in the FM GO Forum, BTW.

I will note that this is how FM GO got its start. There was a 3rd party app that let iPhone users open FileMaker files on an iPhone that generated enough user interest that FileMaker then released FM GO. I think that they would have anyway, but FileMaker INc. has a history of using 3rd party produced tools as a source of new features to include in their products.

This all speculation on my part...

• 2. Re: An "FMP 13 / FMG for Android" question by Captain Obvious' kid brother...
            schamblee

I doubt there will be an Android version of FMGo,  yes maybe there should be because there are just as many or more Android devices than iOS devices.  FM has Webdirect which runs in a browser and may be the way to get FM on an Android.    I have read about another product, but it is really limited and doesn't compare to FMGo at all.  Currently FMGo is given free, so I don't see FM investing time into a product for another device that they give away.   I believe they should allow FM to create standalone database for both ios and android and charge for this additional ability, such as an FMPA Enterprise edition. 

Webdirect, I believe is the way to Go.

• 3. Re: An "FMP 13 / FMG for Android" question by Captain Obvious' kid brother...
              philmodjunk

I don't see FM investing time into a product for another device that they give away.

I believe the strategy behind this is that giving FM GO away boosts sales of their other products. That logic would also apply to releasing an Android product, but I suspect that there would be a start up cost (more in terms of man power than $$) that is currently prohibitive.

• 4. Re: An "FMP 13 / FMG for Android" question by Captain Obvious' kid brother...
                gfr92y

Thanks to all three of you for sharing your feedback.

PhilModJunk, Thanks for the heads up on which is the correct forum for this kind of post and for the suggestion to look for a 3rd party solution on the FMGO forum.

Best regards,

Joe