7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2013 9:05 AM by markgordie

An Indent Numbered List

markgordie

Title

An Indent Numbered List

Is there a way to create a numbered list with two fields?  As an example using [Field 1] aka 'Section' and [Field 2] aka Sub-Section,  to create something like this:

1. [Field 1] Section

1.1 [Field 2] Sub-Section
                1.2 [Filed 2]
                1.3 [Field 2]

2. [Filed 1]

2.1 [Field 2]
                2.2 [Field 2]
           etc.,

The numbers would only be populated if there are contents in the field so I cannot just have them directly on a layout.  Each Section may have a different number of sub-sections.

Any help would be appreciated thank you.

• 1. Re: An Indent Numbered List
          philmodjunk

If your example represents a found set of 5 records, one for each "field 2" row, then this can be done with a summary report. Lines 1. and 2. would be placed in a sub summary layout part "when sorted by" Field 1. The 1.1, 1.2, lines would be placed in the body. The indent shown just becomes a case of how you position the Field 1 in the sub summary layout and Field 2 in the body.

The numbers shown can be produced via calculation and/or number fields.

• 2. Re: An Indent Numbered List
            markgordie

Phil do you ever take a break?

You supplied this calculation for me to insert bullets and it works great ! :

Let (

T = Substitute ( List ( Field 1 ; Field 2 ; Field 3 ; Field 4 ; Field 5 ; ) ; ¶ ; ¶ & Char (8226) &  " " ) ;

If ( not IsEmpty ( T ) ; Char (8226) &  " "  & T )

) // Let

Is there something similar I can use but have the bullets replaced by the numbering system 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and so one?  The second section as in the pic above would start at '2' then the bullets in that list would be starting 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 etc.

I know this is real simple in Word using the paragraph setup but I am trying to incorporate that same formatting in this FM data base.  The attached is an actual page I am trying to recreate in FM.  I am not sure if I should be creating separate fields for each of the '1.1, 1.2, 1.3's or type them all out in a text box with a calculation to number them same?

(I wish I had your knowledge then I wouldn't keep bugging...)

Thanks

• 3. Re: An Indent Numbered List
              markgordie

I have the layout sorted out and have tabs set up for each line that is BOLD [Competency::Competency Name] in pic with a portal inserted in each tab for the 1.1, 1.2 [Outcomes::Outcome Number, Outcomes::Outcome Name] etc lines.  There are four tables in total and I am pretty sure the relationships are fine.  I can input data no problem.  The numbering is still giving me a problem.

The four tables I have attached.  If I try to Auto-serial the [Outcomes::Outcome Number] field, it keeps adding up when I go to the second tab.  What I am trying to sort out is:

If the  [Competency::Competency Name] is number '1', then the [Outcomes::Outcome Number] should start at 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 as I add more records in that tab.  Once I go to the second tab, then [Competency::Competency Name] will be number '2' so then the [Outcomes::Outcome Number] should start at number 2.1, 2.2 and so on.

I tried all day yesterday trying to use a script with Set Next Value, tired auto serial for the field and nothing I was doing was working.  Once I get this numbering thing sorted out, I have the db licked.

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: An Indent Numbered List
                philmodjunk

with a portal inserted in each tab for the 1.1, 1.2 [Outcomes::Outcome Number, Outcomes::Outcome Name] etc lines.

No need for a portal. Use a layout based on the Portal's table (objectives) and place the fields you had in the portal rows into the body of this layout. Put the fields from the parent table (Competency) in sub summary layout parts, "when sorted by _fkCompetencyID".

The sub numbers actually come in two parts. The digit to the left of the "." simply repeats the Competency number and you can simply add this field as merge text to your layout like this:

<<_fkCompetencyID>>.<<sRunningCountField>>

Define sRunningCountField in Objectives as a field that computes the running count of any field in the table that is never empty. Select the "restart counts when grouped by" option and specify the same field as the one you use as the "when sorted by" field in your sub summary layout part setup. This field will count your records for you, restarting at 1 with each new groups of records to produce the number to the right of the decimal.

• 5. Re: An Indent Numbered List
                  markgordie

Please forgive me for being stunned!!!

You have me right to the point where I am to define the sRunningCountField?

When I go to define this field I am doing the following:

sRunningCountField > [Type] 'Number'
                       Calculated value > [Function] Count (field {; field...} )  This is where I get stumped.

I know which field you are talking about to insert here but where the heck is the 'restart counts when grouped by' option??? Or no doubt am I doing something incorrect?

Thanks

• 6. Re: An Indent Numbered List
                    philmodjunk

sRunningCOuntField is a field of type Summary, not number. It does not use an auto-entered calculation.

• 7. Re: An Indent Numbered List
                      markgordie

So sorry, thank you very much.