8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2013 2:54 PM by philmodjunk

Android compatibility

tays01s

Title

Android compatibility

I've got FM Advanced to develop standalone apps. Will I be able to get apps to work on Android tablets, possibly phones. What functionality will the apps have and what will I need to do to get this?

• 1. Re: Android compatibility
          Markus Schneider

Happy New Year!

No, FMGo is availabe only for iOS, Runtimes will work on OSX/Windows. The only way to use FileMaker DBs on a 'droid is via web publishing - but that's not standalone..

however, there might be some third-party sw that could migrate FM DB's (not sure - found some entries using google)

• 2. Re: Android compatibility
            tays01s

I was afraid that would be the answer. I suppose it suits Apple but not FM users.

• 3. Re: Android compatibility
              philmodjunk

You are welcome to use the Feature Suggestion Form to post a request for this if you'd like.

• 4. Re: Android compatibility
                tays01s

Thanks,

Done!

• 5. Re: Android compatibility
                  MelJackson

Happy New Year!

No, FMGo is availabe only for iOS, Runtimes will work on OSX/Windows. The only way to use FileMaker DBs on a 'droid is via web publishing - but that's not standalone.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Could  you please explain to this laymen why web publishing is not considered "Stand Alone"?

I too would like to create some apps for mobile devices and although Apple has the majority of the biz, android OS is still a HUGE part of the equation.

Thanks,
                       Mel

• 6. Re: Android compatibility
                    philmodjunk

English is an imprecise language and Computer Jargon is little better.

"stand alone" FMP databases are usually referred to when you have a single user using the database on a single machine. IWP implies the use of two or more machines--the machine "hosting" the database by publishing it to the web and the Web Browser equipped machine being used to access it. (That second machine might be an Android device...)

• 7. Re: Android compatibility
                      MelJackson

Thanks for the quick response PhilModJunk !

I have another ? I hope you won't mind answering...

I was learning FileMaker a few years back (v.8).  At that time I understood that if I were to write a solution that the user didn't need to buy a copy of FileMaker to run, that was considered a "Stand Alone" ver.  BUT only ONE user could use it.  The database could not be shared.  Is this still the case?  If it is.....

I also understood that IWP was OK for simple solutions with very few users.  Has this changed at all?

Thanks so much for your time.
                           Mel

• 8. Re: Android compatibility
                        philmodjunk

At that time I understood that if I were to write a solution

This is what we call a "runtime" solution and can only be created using a copy of FileMaker Pro Advanced. It is still limited to one user at a time. You can distribute or sell many copies, but only one user at a time can access any given copy of that database solution. There are a few other built in limitations to runtimes.

I also understood that IWP was OK for simple solutions with very few users.

There are siginficant interface design limitations that have to be taken in to account when deciding whether or not to deploy an IWP solution as some interface features that can be used with FileMaker Pro clients do not function when the layout is accessed via a web browser. If you us FileMaker Pro to publish the database to the web, you are limited to no more than 5 browser based users at any given time. But if you use FileMaker Server Advanced to publish the database, you have support for a much larger number of simultaneous users.

IWP is not your only option for publishing FMP to the web. CWP, Custom Web Publishing, is also possible for those with the expertise to use that option.