Animation art database help needed - Help!
I'm fairly new to Filemaker, and this forum, so please go easy on me! I tried searching for what I was looking for before posting this, and some things seemed to fit, but it's such a specialized application it's tough to get the full answer I need. Hopefully you out there in Filemaker land can help. It's a bit tough to explain so I hope I make sense:
I'm creating a database to track art for an animated TV show. There are 2 kinds of art that need to be tracked, black & white line art and colored art and each needs to include a preview image. Each piece of line art has its own unique serial number which is retained for each episode that same model design appears in throughout the series. The line art record is the "anchor" record to which any color art variations would need to relate to. Multiple color variations of that line art model must link to the same line art record with the same serial number in a way that also allows me to retain certain information from the "anchor" record, create color variation specific information (like scene numbers) and also print, track, view, and create reports utilizing all the color variations individually. A lot, I know.
For example, say I had a model of Homer Simpson in his normal costume and the serial number was 1001. We have 10 different color variations of that "1001" model: a day version, night version, firelit version, etc. that all appear in different episodes. With the line art record as the anchor, I need to be able to do a few things:
1. I need all the color variations of Homer in that same costume be viewable from the anchor record as a preview.
2. I need to be able to click on the preview of an individual color variation and have it take me to the record for that variation.
3. I need to retain certain information from the anchor record in the color record (like the serial number).
4. I need to add new information to the color record, independent of anything appearing in the line art anchor record (like scene numbers, color variation name, etc. that are specific to that color record)
5. I need to generate reports to track the line art record and each individual color variation record separately.
6. I need to print all line art for an episode and all color variations for an episode separately.
The way I have it set up now is, I have a tabbed field with tabs for the line art, and then 10 more for color variations of that same model. That works fine to have individual information for each color variation appear on each tab and also to retain select common information, but it doesn't work when trying to create individual outputs for color when printing or generating reports. For example, when I do a search for all records that contain serial# "1001" it brings up the main lineart record, but it does not allow all the color records to print or report individually.
I realize this is a lot to ask, but if anyone has any insight on how I could achieve what I need more efficiently (portals maybe?), even just pointing me in the right direction, I would be most appreciative.