AnsweredAssumed Answered

Another Conventional Value List post...I think?!?!  HELP!!

Question asked by katerbugs on Jun 5, 2013
Latest reply on Jun 6, 2013 by katerbugs

Title

Another Conventional Value List post...I think?!?!  HELP!!

I have been working on this all day and after lots of research and trial and error, I just cannot figure out what easy step I’m missing.  I am new to FM and am working on a database with a bunch of tables.  The ones I’m focused on right now are: Clients, Project Tasks, and Hours Logged.  My relations are as follows:  Client parent to Project Tasks and Project Tasks parent to Hours Logged. See below

Clients:pkClientsID::ProjectTasks:fkClientsID

ProjectTasks:pkProjectTasks::HoursLogged:fkProjectTasks

I am trying to create a punch log (in hours logged table) where there is a pop-up that shows the client’s name (already created and working fine with a value list).  After they choose the client’s name, I want the Project Name field on the Hours Logged table to auto populate with only projects that are associated with that specific client (and I do want to take it a step further and have it be only pending projects.  I did create a field that says Pending or Completed, so I think I’ll be able to figure that part out later).  But I, for the life of me, cannot figure how to get the Project Name field to populate with a conditional value list based on what client is chosen.  I have scoured the internet and this site for an answer and looked at demos and tried solutions, however am stumped.  I tried Table Occurrences and am not sure if I’m over complicating it or not.  I can get it to populate, just not narrow down by client.  I feel it is something easy I’m missing and just hate that!

For some more info:  Fields on the Hours Logged table:  the ClientID field is where the user can choose from a pop-up list the client, and then I have the Project Name field that I want to populate after the client is chosen.  I hope I gave enough info, please let me know if you need anything else and/or what I’m missing!

Outcomes