1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 31, 2011 9:59 AM by philmodjunk

Another newbie - trying to get multiple service history attached to client's piano

donl1150

Title

Another newbie - trying to get multiple service history attached to client's piano

I am a piano tech.  Tyring to set up a database to keep track of my clients and the work I do for them.  I know I need lots of tables and have used the Invoice solution as a template.  I have doctored it up slightly and imported my 500 customers along with their addresses, phone, city, st, etc.  All that is fine.

I have a separate table for Pianos, since a client can have more than one piano.  Have succussfully connected the client and piano tables.  Now I need another table for the service call work done on the pianos each time I visit.  I want to capture at least the date and several catagories of typical work I do on each piano.  There can be many service calls during the year.

I am struggling with how to get more than a single service call to show up on the customer info page.  I had previously added a new tab for History with the tab tool and made the connection to the customer record.

Looking forward to some tips.

Don

ps - I apologize in advance for not knowing all the terminology.  The world of data bases is new to me.  I get the basics of one-one, one-many and many-many but there is SO much more to learn.  I am still in week one of the free 30 day trial of FMP.  I know this program will do everything I want it to do but am struggling justifying the $300 with such a steep learning curve invovled.

• 1. Re: Another newbie - trying to get multiple service history attached to client's piano
          philmodjunk

Making that learning curve a little less steep is why FileMaker Inc started this forum. Wink

I'd treet each service call as a separate Invoices record with your standard services listed in Products. That way a given invoice can list multiple services (for more than one Piano if necessary ) in the LineItems table. Is that what you have set up?

If so, you can place a portal to Invoices on your customer page to list all the service calls for that customer. If, instead, you want to list the individual services performed for that customer, we'll need to set up another relationship so that you can list Line Item Records for that customer--not something that would be hard to do here.