AnsweredAssumed Answered

another novice question-  search in 1 field and enter in another

Question asked by Muffalupogus on May 2, 2011
Latest reply on May 2, 2011 by philmodjunk

Title

another novice question-  search in 1 field and enter in another

Hi,

I am a novice with FMP still and I am trying to learn as I build my first database.  

I have data that was downloaded and that I now need to organize so that I can get outputs I understand.  I am trying to extract data (text, one of various words) from a particular field and if one of these words is present I want to have a text entry (a single word) put into a different field.  

I am looking at who is sponsoring something, and the institutions are listed by name.  I want to categorize them by Academic, Industry... and based on key words in the first field I want either "Academic" or "Industry" entered into a different flied.  Is the best way to do this with a calculation in the filed I want to populate into or would a script be better?

I have tried writing my own calculation and I can get the program to find something (obviously not the right thing yet) and then try to write in the new field but I am not getting the separation between "Academic" and "Industry".

What I have tried so far is:

Case (

GetField ( Sponsors )  = "*University*" ; "Academic" ; 

GetField ( Sponsors )  = "*Hospital*" ; "Academic" ;

GetField ( Sponsors )  = "*College*" ; "Academic" ;

GetField ( Sponsors )  = "*School*" ; "Academic" ;

GetField ( Sponsors )  = "*Inc.*" ; "Industry" ;

GetField ( Sponsors )  = "*Ltd.*" ; "Industry" ;

" ")

And this was just a pilot to see if I was on the right track... I wasn't:

If ( GetAsText ( GetField ( Sponsors ) ) = "*University*" ; "Academic" ; "Industry" )

Thanks for your help!

Outcomes