14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2010 9:03 AM by rdulys

Another release??? And we still can't save Printer Settings in version 10!

rdulys

Title

Another release??? And we still can't save Printer Settings in version 10!

Is anyone else annoyed by this???

The biggest issue I STILL have and have had since v7 is: Printer settings in scripts still don't save... It seemed to work in the original v7, in fact if I remember correctly, it was touted as a GREAT new feature in v7.0, seemed to work with the original release then somewhere along the way it got screwed up again.

Also, isn't it strange that Filemaker puts out a release... IE: 10.0 v1  then they release 10.0 v2  then 10.0 v3  then "Thats all, lets hit them for $299 again!"  Yeah, I know we have some things that have never been fixed since FM 7.0, but we have to make more money!  Look at the support downloads and you will see... 7.0 up to v3 then 8.0 release.  8.0 made it to v2 then they slipped in 8.5 and that only got to v2 also, then 9.0 got up to v3, 10.0 got to v3 and here we are... Version 11!  Each one still had problems that needed fixing, but now they have moved on!

Answer one question please Filemaker...

DO PRINTER SETTINGS SAVE IN A SCRIPT????

This has been the biggest pain in my Filemaker Solution, I have read many posts in the forums on different things to try "Put a second Print Setup in the script" blah blah blah!  It should just WORK - In a script add "Print Setup"  check "Perform without Dialog" check "Specify page setup" choose your printer from the list and save the script - DONE - Now, anytime that script is run, it should switch to THAT printer!   This DOES NOT WORK.  Defaults to whatever the last printer used was.

If it IS fixed in v11, why hasn't it been been fixed in v10.0 that I paid $299 for... Or why wasn't it fixed in 9.0 that I paid $499 for?????

Anyone else have any thoughts on this???

~Robert

• 1. Re: Another release??? And we still can't save Printer Settings in version 10!
          RickWhitelaw

What OS are you on? On OS X at any rate, the Print Setup script step does NOT choose the printer. It's a formatting step. In this step you choose a printer to format to. (I always select "For any printer".The printer is chosen in the "Print" step. I can't speak for Windows. And yes, it's "remembered" in the script. I've never had this problem and do all my printing without dialog. 

There are still huge printing issues when distributing a solution with printer choices hard-coded into the solution, but that's a different issue.

RW 

• 2. Re: Another release??? And we still can't save Printer Settings in version 10!
            rdulys

Thanks for the reply...

Yes, I am on a Windows system...  I am mostly refering to my solutions that I distribute.  If I use the PRINT command it does save it, but how can I make it so a user can run a script 1 time that sets a certain printer on HIS or HER system.  I would think PRINT SETUP would do this.  But it does not stick!  When I install my solution for a user, I have to go into the scripts and set all the printers one at a time.  Very time consuming!

But, regardless of this issue I have, there are many other little issues that have been around for YEARS and I would bet that this new VERSION 11 does not address most of them.

Does Version 11 allow for Saving as PDF in a bound solution???  Probably not!  This was one of the BEST things to come out in Filemaker, but it is hindered in this way.

Thanks again for your reply!

• 3. Re: Another release??? And we still can't save Printer Settings in version 10!
              mrvodka

rdulys wrote:

Does Version 11 allow for Saving as PDF in a bound solution???  Probably not!  This was one of the BEST things to come out in Filemaker, but it is hindered in this way.

From what I understand this issues was a licensing issues from Adobe and not so much FileMaker's limitation or reluctance.

• 4. Re: Another release??? And we still can't save Printer Settings in version 10!
                ralvy

mr_vodka wrote:

rdulys wrote:

From what I understand this issues was a licensing issues from Adobe and not so much FileMaker's limitation or reluctance.

I'm not quite sure how this is a licensing issue, as freeware products like OpenOffice Writer allows saving as a PDF. As far as I understand, the PDF format is publicly available, so if a software manufacturer wants to include it in their product, they can.

• 5. Re: Another release??? And we still can't save Printer Settings in version 10!
                  mrvodka

I believe it has to do with using Adobe's engine directly rather than a 3rd party or re-creating. Open Office also does their version of Word but that doesnt mean that it is an official MS Word integrated product.

But again, this is what I have heard and not something that is concrete.

• 6. Re: Another release??? And we still can't save Printer Settings in version 10!
                    ralvy

Yeah, that's what I figured. Filemaker can either do the programming that allows a solution to produce a file in PDF format, using publicly available specs, or it can rely on the Adobe engine to do it. If this is a licensing issue, they're obviously relying on the Adobe engine.

• 7. Re: Another release??? And we still can't save Printer Settings in version 10!
                      RickWhitelaw

Yeah, the printing issue is a real pain when it comes to distributing, and not just that. People change printers often, depending on needs. This can be more work than changing computers! If a workstation uses multiple printers it's especially arduous. Every time a printer changes, it's a decision as to whether to re-write scripts or go back to using the dialogs and abandon automated printing. I've developed a workable printing system on Mac that doesn't use the print step at all. However it uses PDF, Applescript and shell scripting, so it won't work on Windows and won't work in a runtime solution for reasons you've stated.I did a little skimming/browsing through help files last night, and at first glance it looks like the Send Event step might be a good starting point for Windows users to begin working on a dynamic print solution. While not meaning to discredit any of the developers of printing plugins, we, as users of FMI products, should not be obliged to buy a plugin to do what should be programmable within FMPA.  I mean, come on! DB solutions often do a lot of printing! As long as printer selection is not dynamic we'll be buying plugins, settle for our default printer, or spend an inordinate amount of time getting FM to communicate with the OS.

RW

• 8. Re: Another release??? And we still can't save Printer Settings in version 10!
                        ralvy

The Print Setup step in a script saves settings like Portrait or Landscrape printing, but not the Printer itself. The Printer that appears in that step will be the last one selected. At least this is what I see over here with FMPA 10 on XP SP3.

• 9. Re: Another release??? And we still can't save Printer Settings in version 10!
                          RickWhitelaw

"The Print Setup step in a script saves settings like Portrait or Landscrape printing, but not the Printer itself. The Printer that appears in that step will be the last one selected. At least this is what I see over here with FMPA 10 on XP SP3."

Yes, but the Print step does save the printer choice and will execute the job on the printer chosen in the script step. Print Setup does not execute a print job.

RW

• 10. Re: Another release??? And we still can't save Printer Settings in version 10!
                            ralvy

RickWhitelaw wrote:

"The Print Setup step in a script saves settings like Portrait or Landscrape printing, but not the Printer itself. The Printer that appears in that step will be the last one selected. At least this is what I see over here with FMPA 10 on XP SP3."

Yes, but the Print step does save the printer choice and will execute the job on the printer chosen in the script step. Print Setup does not execute a print job.

RW

Not if the user doesn't have that printer. In that case, the Print step chooses the default printer for that user.

• 11. Re: Another release??? And we still can't save Printer Settings in version 10!
                              RickWhitelaw

"Not if the user doesn't have that printer. In that case, the Print step chooses the default printer for that user."

Not to belabor the point, but this is what I've been getting at. Of course if you hard-code a printer selection in a print script another user with a different printer or printers will get no benefit from your printing scripts. However, for a single user, selecting a printer in the "Print" step WILL "stick". There ARE other ways of dealing with this issue, at least in my experience using OS X. Again, I can't speak for Windows.

RW

• 12. Re: Another release??? And we still can't save Printer Settings in version 10!
                                rdulys

So, the bottom line is...  My original post still stands up...  Version 10 and earlier still have all sorts of little things that bugs us all.

So, instead of addressing these things and continue to try to make a version as bug free as possible, Filemaker (Apple) just chooses to release NEW versions with NEW "Cool" features that still have the same problems that the previous versions had.  And want you to pay $299 to try the new feature with your old bugs!

If any of you are users of Quicken, they do the same thing... They release a new version EVERY year and each version has the same bugs the last one did.

And now that FM version 11 is out, we, the users of version 10 will NEVER see an update past v3 unless a MAJOR bug is found.  And forget about 9, 8.5 or 8!

We have not seen any responces to this tread from any FM moderator... Any of you care to comment???

• 14. Re: Another release??? And we still can't save Printer Settings in version 10!
                                  rdulys

Thanks... Just replied over there also :smileyhappy:

Version 11 doesn't offer anything major for me or my users so they won't be getting $299 from me anytime soon!