1 Reply Latest reply on May 27, 2010 1:19 PM by philmodjunk

Another table, another layout?

slazer33

Title

Another table, another layout?

Dear hopefully helpful people:

I am preparing to embark on a long historical research trip. I plan on creating two sets of data. One, the main database will have all of my history notes. Since I expect to encounter a lot of different historical actors, I went to create a second layout in the same database that would hold information. I was hoping to figure out how I could connect them to the point that I could hyperlink between my history notes in one layout and the tables/second layout where I was going to keep biographical detail.

I started out by just created two layouts, one of them for my history research and the other for biographical details. Yet I realized that I am ending up having the same number of records. since the only field connecting the two layouts is biographical people (a checkbox in one layout, a drop-down on the other), I am really not sure how they have the same number of records and how that would work.

Would the best thing for me to do to be to simply create a second layout, and not worry about connecting them? Or am I going about this all wrong?:

Best regards, and thank you for any help you can provide.

• 1. Re: Another table, another layout?
          philmodjunk

Well...

You can't link layouts, you link table occurrences--these are the boxes connected by lines you see in Manage | Database | Relationships.

When you create a new layout, you also specify from which table occurrence you will access/display records. This is what you select in the "Show records from" box in Layout Setup...

If both layouts refer to the same table occurrence in layout setup... then you are working with exactly the same set of records in the same underlying data - source table. This may or may not be what you need here.

Many folks find the terms Table and Table Occurrence confusing. To learn more, click the following link:

Table vs. Table Occurrence (Tutorial)