2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2010 12:11 PM by vision

another user is modifying this record

DaveSmith

Title

another user is modifying this record

I have a portal displaying records from a single table.  I created an occurrence of the table so I could filter the records based on a date range and user ID.  The portal also contains a field that is validated from a value list (Y/N) that allows users to mark the record complete or incomplete (Y/N).   When only one user is using the layout, it works great.  However, when 2 people are on a record in the portal, I get the error that "another user is modifying the record".  This happens even when they are not on the same record.  It doesn't seem to care what record it is.  If someone is accessing the portal rows, it locks all the records.

Version 8 server on Windows 2003

Filemaker Pro Advanced 11 workstation running Windows XP

• 1. Re: another user is modifying this record
          mrvodka

Well when one edits a portal record, it locks the parent record as well. However you state that it locks all the records in the parent table for other users? Are you certain? What is your relationship like and keyed on what? Are you opening a new window?

• 2. Re: another user is modifying this record
            vision

As mentioned, this is common if you have a relationship that links many records together and a portal displaying info from that relationship is present on the page you are editing.  

For example, if you had a relationship that linked all records with today's date, and had a portal using this relationship, and the portal contained a modifiable field, then editing one record from today would lock out anyone from editing any record from today.