5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2011 8:03 AM by JohnFambrini

any Car Dealer Databases?

JohnFambrini

Title

any Car Dealer Databases?

Hi, I work for a dealer in Thailand and am thinking of creating a database that will allow us to create car inventory, parts inventory, contact management and invoicing (proforma invoices and commercial invoices). I don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone has already developed such a template.

If no such database is available, are such available in any other database so I can take a look at them and learn from them as I'm a database newbie.

• 1. Re: any Car Dealer Databases?
          philmodjunk

You might want to look at the various starter solutions that come with FileMaker to see if they can be adapted to your needs. You'll infd a contact manager, invoicing system and more there.

• 2. Re: any Car Dealer Databases?
            JohnFambrini

Dear Phil:
            Thanks for the suggestion. I'm using FM Starting Point 2 as the base and modifying it as I go. I'm struggling with creating a car inventory. I have modified its Products table to become Parts and am now trying to duplicate this table and all its layouts to become car inventory table but don't know an easy way to duplicate all layouts of one table.

It would have been great if a car dealer solution was already in place.

Thanks,
            Regards,
            John

• 3. Re: any Car Dealer Databases?
              JohnFambrini

Dear Phil:
              I have come with the following fields for the Car inventory table:

Stock #, Make (Toyota, Etc), Model (Hilux), Series, VIN, Body Style (pickup, SUV), Body type (Single, Cab, Double Cab), Color Exterior, Color Interior, Transmission, Vehicle Type, Fuel Type, Cylinders, Mileage, Registration Year, Mgf. year, vehicle age, purchase price, asking price, license no., options, sold to, account no, sale date, saleman, delivery date

John

• 4. Re: any Car Dealer Databases?
                philmodjunk

I'm not familiar with FM Starting Pont 2.

The list of fields you specify seem fairly reasonable, though certain fields may better serve to be listed in related tables. I would add one field: _pk_VehicleID, defined as an auto-entered serial number for use in linking records in this table to other tables such as those needed for generating sales invoices and/or service records. It may seem unecessary, since you have a VIN number that uniquely identifies the car, but from personal experience, it's better to use the auto-entered serial number field and just leave the VIN as a data field. If you use a value that comes from outside of the database, correcting any errors in this data can "break" the link to any related records you may have created before you discovered the error.

You may find this "stripped down" simple invoicing example, created by Comment, a useful file to examine and learn from:  

http://fmforums.com/forum/showpost.php?post/309136/

• 5. Re: any Car Dealer Databases?
                  JohnFambrini

Dear Phil:
                  Thanks for your comments. It turned out to be a great chore to have two different tables for Parts and for cars. Since only one link can go to populate line items in the invoices it made sense to consolidate the two tables. FMSP 2 is a great template. It is already using an auto entered serial number in each of the tables. It is a very complex template and I'm just starting to plumb its depth.

Do you know if there is a well-designed database? Most templates I have seen seem to be designed by programmers.

Thanks,
                  Regards
                  John