2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2009 1:24 PM by TSGal

Any end users security issues with FM Instant Web Publishing?

LarusJon

Title

Any end users security issues with FM Instant Web Publishing?

Dear filemaker community members,

I have plans to set up an FM database for instant web publishing.  The database will require the end users to log in (with internal filemaker usernames and passw.). The end users are patients and will not have FM installed on their computers as they will randomly want access to the database.

The end users will be issued non-personalized usernames and passwords by email prior to accessing the database.

My issues are the following and I am greatly thankful for any advice:

- a)  Am I correct in that I need a FM pro server software?

- b)  Do I need more than one machine as a server hardware (this will not be a remote desktop setup)?

- c)  Are there any known specific security issues for the end users when accessing the database over the internet?

- d)  Are there any additional software tools I need (PHP, mysql etc) ?

Thanks in advance,

Larus  Jon. 

• 1. Re: Any end users security issues with FM Instant Web Publishing?
          LarusJon

Hi again,

I forgot to list the following:
          - I will use FM pro for windows (FMpro 10)

- the latest applicable in hardware (windows) 

- I am a medium level skilled FM user, work as an inhouse developer

Thanks again,

Larus Jon. 

• 2. Re: Any end users security issues with FM Instant Web Publishing?
            TSGal

Larus Jon:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro is able to use Instant Web Publishing, but you are limited to 5 (five) concurrent users.  Any additional users will be denied.  With FileMaker Server, this limitation is removed.

You can set up FileMaker Server to work on one machine.  However, if you have firewall concerns, you may want to consider putting the data on one machine behind the firewall, and have a web server access the data.  For more information about setting up FileMaker Server, please see the FileMaker Server Getting Started Guide online at:

http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/documentation/fms10_getting_started_en.pdf

... and read Chapter 2.  This describes different machine setups, and one may work better for you.

Along with Instant Web Publishing, FileMaker also has Custom Web Publishing with PHP or with XML and XSLT.  These are only available with FileMaker Server 10 Advanced.

FileMaker Pro does have Access Privileges that allows users to add/edit/view data, depending on the account and what privileges you have given the user.  If you have a FileMaker Pro open, pull down the File menu and select "Manage -> Accounts & Privileges...".  Create a new account and play around a bit.  You'll get an idea of what can be controlled.

If you have any additional questions, or if you need clarification, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.