8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2009 4:50 AM by unieater

Any help on filtering for a portal?

unieater

Title

Any help on filtering for a portal?

I have contact database with a field called PCode.

I have a reference database that has 4 fields:  PCodePrim, PCodeRel, PCodeNum, and PCodeSec.  

The reference database maps the level of a relationship between two contacts.  So there are 4 codes for PCodeRel (A,B,C,D) and then PCodeNum represents the unique number of PCodeRel for that PCodePrim.  

The relationship that I have created is Contact:PCode is used to link to PCodePrim which has multiple records with unique PCodeSec which should point back to Contact:PCode. 
      I'm trying to create a filtering mechanisms so for each unique PCodePrim and PCodeRel Group will be called into a portal.

Any thoughts on how to filter for identification in portal?

Sorry about lack of technical writing as I'm new to this.  

Posts are great resources so I want to thank all contributors.

• 1. Re: Any help on filtering for a portal?
          TSGal

unieater:

Thank you for your post.

I have read your post three times, and I'm still unsure what you are trying to accomplish.

I'm assuming PCode in Contacts links to PCode in Reference?

For every PCode entered in the Contacts table, you should see all occurrences of PCode in the Reference Portal.  If you want to do any filtering, you can edit/modify the relationship to include additional criteria to limit the records even further.  This is done by pulling down the File menu and selecting "Manage -> Database".  Click on the Relationships tab, and click on the icon that is attached to the link between the two tables.  Put in additional criteria and click "Add".

If this isn't what you are trying to accomplish, then please provide an example of what is occurring and what you hope to occur.

Thanks.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Any help on filtering for a portal?
            unieater

Apologies for my poor technical writing skills

PCode in Contacts links to PCodePrim in Reference....which identifies PCodeSec that links back to PCode in Contacts.  PCodePrim will never be equal to PCodeSec.

Reference Table Records looks like this: (I separated fields by semi-colons)

PCodePrim; PCodeRel; PCodeNum; PCodeSec

P00001032; A; 0001; P0002043

P00001032; A; 0002; P0002135

P00001032; B; 0001; P0003456

P00001032; C; 0001; P0003458

P00001032; D; 0001; P0003901

P00001032; D; 0002; P0003902

Within the Reference table , the PCodeRel is an identifier about the depth of a relationship... think of a family tree where "A" is a parent, "B" is a brother, "C" is a sister, and "D" is a child.

I'm trying to have the portal identify only the Contacts field  via Reference field PCodeSec that have PCodeRel = "A"  (eg below)

P00001032; A; 0001; P0002043

P00001032; A; 0002; P0002135

So the Portal will display the Contacts based on the filter P0002043 and P0002135.

I hope my description is a little bit better.

Thanks again for your assistance.

• 3. Re: Any help on filtering for a portal?
              TSGal

unieater:

Thank you for the clarification.  This is much more helpful.  :-)

You can only limit the portal criteria if you have create additional criteria.  In this case, your criteria is a constant (A) that doesn't relate to anything in Contacts.  Therefore, looks at this in the opposite direction.  Go to your Reference table and search for the PCode field in Contacts and "A" in PCodeRel.  This will show only those records that meet that criteria.  In your case, P0002043 and P0002135.  Does this make sense?

Another possibility is to create a calculation field in Contacts that equals "A".  Then use this as additional criteria in the relationship.  If you don't want to modify the current relationship, then create a second table occurrence in Relationships (click the Add button and add the same Reference table) and link the two fields from Contacts into the two fields from Reference 2.

I hope this helps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Any help on filtering for a portal?
                unieater

TSGal,

Thanks for your hlep on the Search in Reference Table.  Is there an easy way to tod this? 

Unieater

• 5. Re: Any help on filtering for a portal?
                  TSGal

unieater:

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  I tried to show you how to do it but obviously failed.  What clarification do you need?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Any help on filtering for a portal?
                    unieater

TSGal,

As I mentioned earlier, I'm thinking of this as a family tree, so I'm trying to create a layout that has the PCodePri in the center of the screen, with "A" above, "B" left, "C" right, and "D" below.  I'm having a hard time how to create this given the reference criteria.  

I might need to try to create 4 reference tables that I can export to based on the Reference Data with each reference table containing the data related to PCodePri and the PCodeRel (A,B,C,D)

The find/search ends up being a little bit sloppy.  Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Best,
                    Unieater.

• 7. Re: Any help on filtering for a portal?
                      TSGal

unieater:

You may want to consider four table occurrences.  One for "A", one for "B", one for "C" and one for "D".  Then, you can put portals to these different occurrences so that the "A" is above, "B" left, "C" right and "D" below.

Obviously, you'll need four calculation fields that result in "A", "B", "C" and "D", respectively, and then use these fields with the PCode linked to the appropriate PCode and PCodeRel.

Let me know how it works out!

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Any help on filtering for a portal?
                        unieater

TSGal,

Thanks for help... I created 4 new tables from the original reference table based on a Perform Find command for the PCodeRel Field.  Then put portals on these different tables.

Works great.
                        Unieater