2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2012 10:29 PM by jasonnorthwood_1

Any ideas how to freeze the leftmost column in a table please?

MarkSimlo

Title

Any ideas how to freeze the leftmost column in a table please?

Hi,

I'm a relative noobie at Filemaker Pro but I am getting better thanks to the help of Phil on this forum.  I am trying to enter data in rows in a table (which I have set up OK) but I want to 'freeze' the left most colum to stop it scrolling off te screen.

Any ideas how to do this....or even if I can do this!!

Thanks in advance

Mark

• 1. Re: Any ideas how to freeze the leftmost column in a table please?
          philmodjunk

There's no easy way.

You could define several layouts, each with different columns to the right of this first column and then add buttons to switch layouts. If you are using table view (not my choice for most data entry layouts BTW), you can go into layout setup to specify that the header be visible for table view so that you can add buttons in the header.

A much more sophisticated approach and one that sometimes produces slow screen refreshes is to make your right hand columns of data be fields from a related table and use a script to change a value that then modifies a field that is either a match field in a relationship or a field defined in a portal filter. This can make it possible to scroll your columns of data entry fields one column at a time to the right or left but isn't easy to describe in detail for a newbie to be able to implement.

• 2. Re: Any ideas how to freeze the leftmost column in a table please?
            jasonnorthwood_1

I like to look at my database in list view and am just amazed you can't freeze the  left column. Frustrated.