1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 28, 2013 8:53 AM by philmodjunk

any suggestions for a nested nested database?

jhc

Title

any suggestions for a nested nested database?

I posted my old FMP file a while ago at ftp://ftp.geobc.gov.bc.ca/publish/Regional/Surrey/FishForms/

Unfortunately that one eventually became corrupted, perhaps because I was trying to nest a portal within another nested portal in one of my layouts (learned here that it is not possible in FMP12).  Or perhaps it was because I kept it on a network drive. Either way I'm not sure but for now I'm trying to avoid both scenarios - I'm tired of recreating my database. 

I'm looking for suggestions on how best to do this. I have a lot of tables linked to a Lakes table. The Lake can have one or more than one net. The Net can have zero or many catches of fish. The Lake can also have many Minnow Traps which will catch zero to many minnows. The biologists also want to capture chemistry data for the lake as well as take oxygen and temperature level readings at many different depths. 

I've tried doing this in the tabs but haven't figured out how to keep all the records related. My old idea was to keep lakes info in it's own layout and then have a bunch of buttons to go to the layout of interest (nets-catches, traps-minnows, oxygen-temp, water chem). But that would be four different layouts. Someone suggested doing it in tabs but I haven't figured out how to make them all related to the same lake. Any ideas or suggestions for a nice, logical layout that minimizes flashing back and forth between screens? 

thanks in advance

• 1. Re: any suggestions for a nested nested database?
          philmodjunk

Unfortunately that one eventually became corrupted, perhaps because I was trying to nest a portal within another nested portal in one of my layouts.

That will not and cannot corrupt your file. It's just something that you can't do. When you try, you just end up with one portal placed on top of the other instead of nested inside. Something else damaged your file.

What you are describing should be something that can readily be handled by a series of one to many relattionships as you go from lake to net/trap to the "catches" data.

4 different layouts does not sound like such a bad idea, but tabs are also possible if you set up a "Master detail" pair of portals you could, for example have a portal that lists each net placed in a given lake. When you click a row in this portal, a second portal in the same tab updates to list all the catch records for that net location.

I must warn you, however, that this a more complex design and one that requires scripting to set up. Here's a link on the concept: Need layout solution for nested portals...

And you might also be able to put your data for minnow traps and nets in the same table and use the same Catch table for both traps and nets. Basically, you'd simply treat a minnow trap as a different kind of "net" placed in the lake.