AnsweredAssumed Answered

Any way to determine sort order for field based Value Lists?

Question asked by BFCSteve on Nov 28, 2011
Latest reply on Nov 29, 2011 by philmodjunk

Title

Any way to determine sort order for field based Value Lists?

Howdy,

I have a fairly compex system that I'm trying to keep as simple as possible.  The crux of it is a need to have one of many predetermined lists of values made available to a particular field based on two selected values.  Instead of dynamically making these lists I have set up fields with 10 repeating values which in turn contain the preset values.  Which means Filemaker identifies a single field as valid and I get 10 predetermined choices for that particular Popup Menu.  It works extremely well EXCEPT.... 

As far as I can tell FileMaker will always reorders these entries alphabetically.  Therefore a list ordered as I want it to be like this:

Strawberry

Grape

Blueberry

-

Grapefruit

Banana

Pineapple

is displayed in a Popup Menu in a way I absolutely do not want:

Banana

Blueberry

Grape

Grapefruit

Pineapple

Strawberry

-

I've tried using Fields without the repeating values and instead use carrige returns.  This works fine from a selection standpoint, but Filemaker still insists on reordering the choices based on alphabet.

Is there any way to get Filemaker to leave well enough alone, or am I stuck having to choose between accepting mandatory alphabetized lists and a vastly more complicated method for creating on-the-fly Value Lists?

Thanks!

Steve

Outcomes