2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2011 8:57 AM by philmodjunk

Any way to determine sort order for field based Value Lists?

BFCSteve

Title

Any way to determine sort order for field based Value Lists?

Howdy,

I have a fairly compex system that I'm trying to keep as simple as possible.  The crux of it is a need to have one of many predetermined lists of values made available to a particular field based on two selected values.  Instead of dynamically making these lists I have set up fields with 10 repeating values which in turn contain the preset values.  Which means Filemaker identifies a single field as valid and I get 10 predetermined choices for that particular Popup Menu.  It works extremely well EXCEPT.... 

As far as I can tell FileMaker will always reorders these entries alphabetically.  Therefore a list ordered as I want it to be like this:

Strawberry

Grape

Blueberry

-

Grapefruit

Banana

Pineapple

is displayed in a Popup Menu in a way I absolutely do not want:

Banana

Blueberry

Grape

Grapefruit

Pineapple

Strawberry

-

I've tried using Fields without the repeating values and instead use carrige returns.  This works fine from a selection standpoint, but Filemaker still insists on reordering the choices based on alphabet.

Is there any way to get Filemaker to leave well enough alone, or am I stuck having to choose between accepting mandatory alphabetized lists and a vastly more complicated method for creating on-the-fly Value Lists?

Thanks!

Steve

• 1. Re: Any way to determine sort order for field based Value Lists?
          hbrendel

Valuelist by calculation is a long existing item on my wishlist...

For this problem I use a menu plug-in. I create a popup-menu which displays whatever I want. Also it looks better then the 1990 FM look.

Dacon's MenuControl will do the job. It will cost you some money.

Succes

• 2. Re: Any way to determine sort order for field based Value Lists?
            philmodjunk

This is a long standing item on my wish list also, but it's also good to avoid plug ins when possible. Once you invest in a plug in, you run the risk that it will not be compatible with a future release of FileMaker that keeps you from upgrading your system until the plug in developer releases an update. If the plug in developer has since gone out of business... Of course, it isn't always possible to avoid that plug in. Wink

If you have a single field value list, (not an ID number if field 1 and a name in field 2, for example), then this method works for modest sized value lists:

Add a number field, SortKey, to your table of values to specifiy the order of the item in the value list.

Add this calculation field, cSpaces, to your table:

Substitute ( 10^SortKey - 1 ; 9 ; " " )

In your value list, specify cSpaces as the Field 2 value and set the value list to sort on this field.

Definitely a major Kludge, but it works for value lists that aren't too large and can avoid having to add a plug in to your solution.