3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2013 9:39 AM by philmodjunk

Any way to get value list values from a repeating field?

mattb

Title

Any way to get value list values from a repeating field?

I'm trying to create a value list which shows just 5 values which come from another field in the same table.  I can't use a custom list because the values are not known ahead of time.  I don't want to specify the field that the values come from originally because that's going to show too much.  I tried using a Global field with 5 repetitions, but it seems you can't specify a field's repetition # in the value list definition.  Specifying the Global field in the value list setup just returns the value in the 1st repetition.   It would be nice to be able to create a value list from a set of 5 global variables, but that can't be done either.

The situation is this:  I have a Transactions table of almost 40,000 records.  This table contains multiple transaction entries for multiple customers.  I'm trying to stuff a dropdown with the 5 most recent transaction #s for a given customer.  I can't use the Transaction # field itself because that would show ALL the transaction #s for a customer instead of the 5 most recent.  I can get the 5 most recent transaction #s into the Global field using 5 repetitions, but am stymied by what should be a simple task...any suggestions?

Matt Bloomfield

• 1. Re: Any way to get value list values from a repeating field?
          philmodjunk

Option 1: Stuff all five values into the same, non-global, non-repeating field with each value separated by a return. The list funciton can be very handy for appending values to a list in a field. When you set up your value list specifying this field, you'll get 5 different values. You can use a conditional value list to just refer to this field in a specific record or you can use a single record table related to your current table by the X operator. (Use the relationship to make it easier to edit values in this field.)

Option2: that standard alternative for repeating fields is a set of related records. I see no reaon why you can't just set up a 5 records in a related table for your 5 values And this too could be a case where you use a conditional value list to match to a specific set of records for the values or you can have just 5 records in the table.

• 2. Re: Any way to get value list values from a repeating field?
            mattb

Phil:

You can use a conditional value list to just refer to this field in a specific record

Hmm...how does one implement a "conditional value list"?

Matt Bloomfield

• 3. Re: Any way to get value list values from a repeating field?
              philmodjunk

See these links:

There's a lot of overlap between the first two links so you can read one and skim the other. The demo file gives you several examples of different conditional value lists so you can examine them to see how they are set up. If you are using FileMaker 12, you can open this demo file from your File menu to get a converted copy of the demo file that you can examine in FileMaker 12.

The last link discusses how to set up a chain of conditional value lists where the value selected in each conditional value list controls the values listed in the next value list.

Forum Tutorial: Custom Value List?

Knowledgebase article: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/kw/conditional%20value%20list

Demo File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6qf0z9fnem3uxd/ConditionalValueListDemo.fp7

Hierarchical Conditional Value lists: Conditional Value List Question

Feel free to post follow up questions here if those links aren't enough to get your value lists working correctly.