6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2009 8:39 AM by BreitenbushIT

anyone else having an issue with the hard coded 60 minute limit on a web publishing session?

marcusedward

Title

anyone else having an issue with the hard coded 60 minute limit on a web publishing session?

I was having this issue.  Had a lot of user negative user feedback because they would have to continually re-login to the system.  The place where I work did not require the added "security" of a session timeout because everyone here is required to lock out their machines when unattended.  

My solution to getting around the 60 minute limit was to use install firefox as the browser and then download an addon called "reloadevery".  On login to the system the opening script stops on a text page that propts the user to right click and select "reloadevery" with a time of 15 minutes.  The user can then leave the browser open for as long as they like and will remain logged in.  

Would be interested to hear if anyone else has found a workaround for this.

Marcus 

• 1. Re: anyone else having an issue with the hard coded 60 minute limit on a web publishing session?
          BreitenbushIT

Yes - I am having an issue with this as well.  From what I see when searching the web there are many people who don't like the 60 minute limit.

I serve a couple databases over our LAN using Filemaker Server Advanced and IWP.  Since the databases are used throughout the day, the users do not want their sessions to expire every hour.  Often the users will go an hour or two without needing to use the database which of course forces them to re-login.  There are less than 10 employees using the DBs so I am not worried about exceeding the 100 user limit with IWP.

Filemaker people:  Why is there a 60 minute limit?  I just spent a lot of money on FMS Advanced and I was rather annoyed that the limit is still there (I can understand having the limit with FMP).  I would strongly suggest that the 60 minute limit change to at least a 3 hour limit with Filemaker Server Advanced.

I have been trying to figure out a way around this for over a week.  It seems that doing this from within the database is impossible (especially since the Pause/Resume script doesn't work the same with IWP).  The only possible solution I have heard about is installing a "session saver" plugin into the web browsers of all users.  I have tried this route before (for a banking website that also had session timeouts) and it can be very problematic and cumbersome.

If anyone knows how to get around the session limit using either a script within the DB or perhaps some feature of Filemaker Server, please let me know.  This is driving the users crazy and they are hounding me to figure out a way to fix the issue!  :)

-shawn- 

• 2. Re: anyone else having an issue with the hard coded 60 minute limit on a web publishing session?
            BreitenbushIT

I have a meeting with our office manager today to discuss this issue.  Anyone out there have any suggestions about a solution?  :)

-shawn- 

• 3. Re: anyone else having an issue with the hard coded 60 minute limit on a web publishing session?
              jonnyt

Personally I think the 1 hour limit is a wise choice.

Most web users will log in to achive a task. If they remain idle for more than 60 minutes the the session expires.

If they are not using it for one hwhole hour, is it really that unreqasonable to expect them to login again?

Secondly, if the user doesnt log out properly and just closes the browser window, then if you have a 3 hour session expiry limit with 60/70/100 users logged on then that is going to really hammer the memory on your server.

Thirdly, web applications like online banking have a session expiry of much less. The reason being is so that the data is not ac cidentally displayed to someone that shouldnt be seeing it.

If someone is idle for an hour then th reasons for the session timeout of60 minutes is 1) to keep the memory usage down 2) protect the data from security exploits from people that shouldnt be seeing it and 3) to keep everything nice and tidy

• 4. Re: anyone else having an issue with the hard coded 60 minute limit on a web publishing session?
                BreitenbushIT

Hi Jonny,

I agree with what you are saying, but not in all cases (such as ours).

We are using IWP to serve our databases over the LAN (not the internet) and there are only about 5-10 people who ever use the databases.  They use them throughout the work day, but during slow times the of the day they might go up to 90+ minutes without activity.  They are having to re-login many times during the day and many of them find this very inconvenient.  If I could set the session time to 3 hours there wouldn't be an issue and I am sure we would never exceed the 100 user limit (it would be impossible).

I realize that we could avoid this issue by not using IWP, but that is not an option at this time.  We have over 30 computers on the LAN and these 5-10 people migrate around the business and need to be able to use any of the computers on property.  We would have to purchase and install over 30 licenses of FMP to be able to accommodate this!   There are other reasons we use IWP, but I won't go into the details.

I also realize that it could be awhile until the 60 minute limit is changed (if ever), so I am hoping someone can offer a way to get around this limit using scripts or something of that nature.

Thanks!

-shawn- 

• 5. Re: anyone else having an issue with the hard coded 60 minute limit on a web publishing session?
                  TSGal

Breitenbush Office:

Thank you for your posts and explanation.

I urge you to enter this suggestion into our Feature Suggestion web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/feature_request.html

Although I could copy your post(s) and paste the contents into the web form, there are additional questions asked that only you can answer.  Be sure to give the reason why you want this 60 minute limitation removed.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: anyone else having an issue with the hard coded 60 minute limit on a web publishing session?
                    BreitenbushIT

Thanks for the suggestion TSGal.  I will do that.

-shawn-