1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 27, 2015 6:34 AM by philmodjunk

App loses "focus" when returning from an automated report (layout)

PecCars

Title

App loses "focus" when returning from an automated report (layout)

Consider the following in my app:

- From Contacts layout (main window) I have the option of opening Bookings (a dialogue layout) in a separate window on top.

- From Bookings I need to generate a report automatically via a push button ...
        this means I assign a script to the push button. The script in turn will
        - call a separate layout, (New Window, Go to Layout)
        - perform a search with the new layout (Enter Browse, Perform Find, Sort Records)
        - save the report as PDF (Save Records as PDF)
        - close the search layout (Close Window)

- and return to the window Bookings. (how do I do this ? Currently it returns directly to Contacts layout)

I get also an error later ... if I call the Bookings layout and try to edit some fields I get the message "This record cannot be modified in this windows because it is already being modified in a different window." But in fact there is no other window open. What do I need to do to go back to the layout Bookings after the report is generated ?

• 1. Re: App loses "focus" when returning from an automated report (layout)
          philmodjunk

Select window can put the focus on a specific window by name, so your script can use that button to go back to bookings. You describe a system of three windows so it is not 100% certain to me when I read this description that you really only have one window open at the time you get this error message.

But there is a known issue that can cause this error to appear even though you only have one window open when using FileMaker Go on an iOS device. The immediate fix is to double click the home button and "flick" the filemaker go app up to quit the app. Then you can restart FM GO and re-open the file.

It's also possible to create a script that checks for this issue and if it detects the problem, a message appears telling the user to restart FM GO. (Hate to do that, but it beats having frustrated users.)