4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2010 11:03 AM by PhilGiunta

Append PDF to a Filemaker 11 file

PhilGiunta

Title

Append PDF to a Filemaker 11 file

Hello,

We have Filemaker v.11 server and client running at our site.  We use Filemaker to generate Purchase Orders and Invoices.  The layouts were created years ago.  

Our Purchasing Manager has approved new terms of purchasing and they are saved in a two page PDF file.  He would like to append the PDF file to each Purchase Order when it is saved as a PDF.

I know that Filemaker has a way of saving a file as a PDF and appending it to an existing PDF.  I tried that. However, what I need is the other way around.  I need the existing PDF sitting on our file share to be appended to the end of each Purchase Order when saving them as PDF.

Any thoughts on whether this is possible? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Append PDF to a Filemaker 11 file
          philmodjunk

Why not copy the PDF text onto a layout so that you can PDF the Purchase Order and this additional information in one step from the same layout?

This need not be the layout your user sees. When you click a button to save a PDF of it, the script can switch to this other layout to save the PDF then switch back.

• 2. Re: Append PDF to a Filemaker 11 file
            PhilGiunta

Fantastic idea.  I don't work at all with Filemaker layouts but we have someone on site who does occassionally work with the layouts of our files and she offered a similar suggestion.   The question she has is how to expand the page size of the layout. 

• 3. Re: Append PDF to a Filemaker 11 file
              philmodjunk

I can read Page size several ways.

The "page size" (shown by page break lines in layout mode) of a layout is determined by the settings in Print Setup. To move the page break lines, just select a different page size or orientation in that dialog. (You can use print set up to select those options in a script just before you do a save as PDF also.)

Layout Parts such as a Header or Footer where you might include this information can be made larger by dragging their borders up and down.

• 4. Re: Append PDF to a Filemaker 11 file
                PhilGiunta

Actually, yes, I noticed that in layout mode, you can drag the BODY button down and that will add more pages based on page size.    I think that might do it for us.  Thanks again for your advice!