4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2014 8:04 AM by MichaelPoling

Appending in dropdown box

MichaelPoling

Title

Appending in dropdown box

Is there a method to append drop down or Pop Up Menu box entries within a single field.  I'd like to allow the user to type, and have the database autofill from a value list, but to have the data append rather than replace (unless, of course, they intent to delete the data).  Right now, if I enter data, I can get the auto lookup if I hit enter after each piece of data, but then if I click the drop down or pop up (I'm playing with both right now), it replaces the old data unless I am VERY careful to go to the end of the data entry specifically....which, of course, users won't do.

Ultimately, my goal is to allow autofill from a list, AND/OR new entries that aren't on the list, but to have the data displayed as either "Selection1, Selection2, Selection 3....etc" or in 2 or 3 columns.

Anything do-able there?

Thanks

Mike 

• 1. Re: Appending in dropdown box
          philmodjunk

Selecting and entering multiple values in this fashion seems a poor interface design. Short of some very complicated scripting driven by the OnObjectkeystroke trigger, I see no way to do what you want. But there are many alternative methods for selecting multiple values and I would generally use a related table to list the multiple selections so that I can put each value selected in its own related record.

• 2. Re: Appending in dropdown box
            MichaelPoling

Yea, from a data collection perspective, it probably seems quite haphazard.  It is basically a list of conditions a patient might have that we must be aware of, but not necessarily do anything else with, other than to collect the data and display it.  It is simply there to ensure that we know about it/them.  Unfortunately in this day and age, people rarely have one condition...they usually have high blood pressure combined with diabetes, along with 3 other health issues.  The users of this database won't treat or track those conditions, they just need to document that they know about them.

I had thought of using a repeating field, but it's very hard to know how many of repetitions to have.

I see your point to using a related table, I'm just not sure the data is that important to track that specifically, other than for interests sake in research.

Thanks, I'll think about which way to go...perhaps I should just put the little extra work in....

Mike 

• 3. Re: Appending in dropdown box
              philmodjunk

And this sounds like something for which I would set up a related table with one such condition recorded in each related record. A portal would make it very easy to record this information and you can record as many or as few as needed when you do so.

And I strongly recommend against using a repeating field here.

• 4. Re: Appending in dropdown box
                MichaelPoling

Yea, you're right.  I'll put in the little extra work it takes and do it the right way :)

Thanks !

Mike