3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2010 8:48 PM by FMNewbie

Appending Text

FMNewbie

Title

Appending Text

(FileMaker Pro 11; Mac OS Snow Leopard)

This is probably an easy one for you well-practiced folks.   How do I append text to the end of a field entry?  For example, if I have a field called "Weight" I'd like the user to enter a number (say 80) and the value in the field to say "80 kg". 

Hope that makes sense.  Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Appending Text
          Steve Wright

Are you sure you need to do this ? Couldnt you just add those as text labels next to the fields ?

Either way, set the field as an auto enter calc, with the do not replace field contents un-checked..

You can then use something like below, each time the value is changed / entered it will append KG and filter out any letters the user enters

GetAsNumber( Self ) & " kg"

I added the GetAsNumber() so if they type in "20kg" they dont end up with "20kg kg"

• 2. Re: Appending Text
            FMNewbie

Thanks... that seems to work except that now when I try to enter something in the field it says "This action cannot be performed because this field is not modifiable."   Am I missing something??

• 3. Re: Appending Text
              FMNewbie

Ah... disregard... I figured it out.  I was entering the formula you suggested as a Calculation rather than Auto-Enter text.  Thanks for the help.  :)