1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2009 1:59 PM by gregl

Application crashes/quits when exporting record to PDF

Dena

Title

Application crashes/quits when exporting record to PDF

I'm on MAC, OS 10, Filemaker Pro 9

When I use the shortcut to Save/Send records (from a remote database) as PDF, I get to the dialog box to name the file, But when it attempts to create the PDF, Filemaker Pro quits and I get a crash message ""The application FileMaker Pro quit unexpectedly after it was relaunched"" asking me if I want to relaunch. 

When I go to relaunch it asks me if I want to reset the application settings for FileMaker Pro.

I select "Reset and relaunch" and it will re-open Filemaker, but no PDF was created.

This feature used to work like a charm for me.  Not sure why it's not working any more.

Hope you can help!

Thanks

• 1. Re: Application crashes/quits when exporting record to PDF
          TSGal

Dena:

Thank you for your post.

Some users have reported this error, and it seems to be related to a bad AdobeFnt08.lst file.  I have sent a file to our Technical Support liaison, and he should be forwarding this file to you shortly.  If you don't receive this file by the end of the day, please let me know, and I'll follow up with him.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Application crashes/quits when exporting record to PDF
            robots

I've read and researched extensively about this problem, it is a confusing one to me, and nothing I have done thus far has fixed it.

I have recently upgraded all our office Macs from 8.5 to Filemaker 10. Mine is the only one that received FM Pro Advanced 10, and is the one having the problem. We have scripts that create PDFs, as well as occasionally simply right-clicking on a page and "save as PDF". This all worked fine in 8.5, but now on my Mac, it crashes 100% of the time. Additional details:

- It crashes no matter if the PDF save option was chosen by menu or by FM script.

- It crashes even though the PDF is only one page (since this was one of the potential problems posted here)

- It crashes on ANY layout in Filemaker, whether or not it even has fields! A simple page with a line of text still crashes on PDF creation.

- It crashes only on FM version 10 Advanced. I left my old 8.5 Advanced on the same machine, and it works fine when using the same server databases!

- It crashes even though I've removed the AdobeFnt.... files.  

- It does NOT crash on the other Macs, which is running standard FM Pro 10 (Not Advanced)

- I've even gone so far as to replace the entire TypeSpt folder from the working computer on the non-working. Still crash on any PDF.

- Plus all the other standard stuff... restart, reinstall the entire Filemaker Pro Advanced from the disc.... blah blah, I've put way too many hours into trying to fix this! 

HELP!  I'm leaving town in a week and need to have this working for my employee who will be working from my machine. In a pinch, I suppose I could just have them use 8.5, but I paid for version 10, and I want it to WORK! 

• 3. Re: Application crashes/quits when exporting record to PDF
              TSGal

robots:

Thank you for your post.

What is the size of your AdobeFnt08.lst file?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Application crashes/quits when exporting record to PDF
                robots

At this point, I have NO AdobeFntxxx file at all.  From what I can tell, this file is re-created every time Filemaker exports a PDF, but since it crashes every time I try to make a PDF, its not able to rebuild the file.

It appears that I never even had a AdobeFnt08.lst file in the first place. I just used Time Machine to restore what was in there back when using Filemaker 8.5, and there was an old AdobeFnt05.lst and AdobeFnt.lst.  When I put those 2 files back in there, however, I still get the same crash as usual. Also, I checked on the computer that IS working fine with exporting PDFs, and there is NO AdobeFntxxx.anything in the TypeSpt directory.  So what's going on here?

• 5. Re: Application crashes/quits when exporting record to PDF
                  robots

Holy cow, I think I just fixed it!

Here's what I did:

Quit Filemaker Pro Advanced 10

I removed the entire TypeSpt directory from [user]/Library/Application Support/ 

Open Filemaker Pro Advanced 10 

Export a PDF, NO CRASH! And the PDF was generated correctly!

Now here's my only concern... there were other files inside that old TypeSpt directory, things like "Kinsoku, Unicode, FntNames.db, etc.". When I created the PDF, it created a new, but empty, TypeSpt folder by itself. Are things going to work ok without those other documents/directories in there, or did I just break the pdf functions of my other programs? 

• 6. Re: Application crashes/quits when exporting record to PDF
                    robots

Crap, I spoke too soon.

It worked only that once. When I tried it again, it still crashed.  

Repeating the removal of the TypeSpt as before did not let me create another PDF. ...sigh... 

Back to troubleshooting, I guess...

• 7. Re: Application crashes/quits when exporting record to PDF
                      TSGal

robots:

In my TypeSpt folder, there is one file: AdobeFnt08.lst.

If you have AdboveFnt05.lst file, you are then using an older version of Adobe Reader.  Please update to the latest release.

Again, what is the size of your AdobeFnt08.lst file?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: Application crashes/quits when exporting record to PDF
                        robots

Scroll up 3 messages. I mentioned that I've never had a AdobeFnt08.lst file at all.

I'll update Adobe Reader again and see if anything changes. 

• 9. Re: Application crashes/quits when exporting record to PDF
                          robots

Removed and reinstalled Acrobat Reader 9 (newest version right from Adobe's site). 

NO change. Still crashes Filemaker Pro Advanced.

AND, no AdobeFnt08.lst was generated in the TypeSpt folder.

Note that I'm not even trying a script, just right click on a VERY simple Filemaker layout and  "Save as PDF" to desktop. Crashes every time.

• 10. Re: Application crashes/quits when exporting record to PDF
                            TSGal

robots:

I have sent an AdobeFnt08.lst file to our Technical Support liaison, and he'll be forwarding it to you when he arrives later this morning.  If you do not receive this by the end of your day, please let me know, and I'll make sure it gets sent to you.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 11. Re: Application crashes/quits when exporting record to PDF
                              robots

Got the AdobeFnt08.lst file, thanks.

Put it into the TypeSpt folder and started up Filemaker Pro Advanced 10.

When I tried to save page as PDF. "Filemaker Pro Advanced quit unexpectedly...", same as always.

I'm about out of time to get this resolved... I guess I'll have to revert back to version 8.5 to be able to save PDFs? Kinda wishing I hadn't splurged on FMPro Advanced for this machine. All the other Macs in the office with version 10 (Non-Advanced) can save PDFs with no crashing.

• 12. Re: Application crashes/quits when exporting record to PDF
                                gregl

It would help greatly to see the first 50 lines of a crash log.  This can show whether the crash is a known issue with a workaround, or aid in developing a workaround or fix.

The crash log can be seen in the Console application on Mac OS X.

/Applications/Utilities/Console.app 

When run, a window of log files appears. In the log list on the left-hand side of the window, there is "LOG FILES", then "~/Library/Logs", then "CrashReporter", then at least one entry for FileMaker Pro along with the date of the crash.  Click on the entry that matches one of the crashes you see with "Save as PDF", and the crash log will appear in the pane on the right.

Pasting the first 50 lines of that crash log will help.  The important things to note in the log are the "Exception type", code type, version, which thread crashed, and the trace of calls that led to the crash.

• 13. Re: Application crashes/quits when exporting record to PDF
                                  robots

OK here you go:

----------------

Process:         FileMaker Pro [56554]

Path:            /Applications/FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro

Identifier:      com.filemaker.client.advanced

Version:         10.0.1 (10.0.1)

Code Type:       X86 (Native)

Parent Process:  launchd [116]

Date/Time:       2009-07-28 16:58:20.517 -0400

OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.5.7 (9J61)

Report Version:  6

Anonymous UUID:  5D1B510F-D535-49E4-80FE-1C8C9EB98F7B

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000e8241c89

Crashed Thread:  40

Thread 0:

0   libSystem.B.dylib             0x958d0e1e sem_wait + 10

1   DLI_PDFL81                     0x03b9a1ad dlpdfinit + 345

2   com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x0048749a DLPDFInstanceHolder::Get() + 202

3   com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x0048765e FMDocPDFPrintJob::Initiate() + 158

4   com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x003883fe PrintJobCommon::ExecutePrintJob() + 30

5   com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x0025d07a FMDocPrintJob::ExecutePrintJob() + 42

6   com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x004846f3 DoSaveAsPDF(FMDocWindow&) + 2931

7   com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x001e387c DoImportExport(FMDocWindow*, unsigned int) + 348

8   com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x001e542d AppHandleCommand(FMDocWindow*, unsigned int, bool) + 669

9   com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x001a93ef CFMProApp::OnCommandRange(unsigned int) + 111

10  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x00035d28 CMacCmdTarget::OnCmdMsg(unsigned int, int, void*, MAC_CMDHANDLERINFO*) + 296

11  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x00051fdd CMacFrameWnd::OnCmdMsg(unsigned int, int, void*, MAC_CMDHANDLERINFO*) + 141

12  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x0003343d CMacDesktopFrameWnd::OnCmdMsg(unsigned int, int, void*, MAC_CMDHANDLERINFO*) + 45

13  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x00079c34 XMenu::DischargeContextCommand() + 100

14  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x000f0e80 DispatchMouseDown(TTargetDescriptor&, XNEventRecord&) + 816

15  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x000f12b1 BRWS_MouseDown(FMDocWindow&, XNEventRecord&) + 225

16  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x00269c81 FMDocWindow::MouseDown(XNEventRecord) + 385

17  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x00269e7a FMDocWindow::MouseDownHandler(XNEventRecord const&, bool) + 154

18  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x00520073 -[DocViewCocoa mouseDown:] + 147

19  com.apple.AppKit               0x95163133 -[NSWindow sendEvent:] + 5381

20  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x0050a2ce -[DocWindow sendEvent:] + 174

21  com.apple.AppKit               0x956dad07 carbonAppWindowMouseHandler + 269

22  com.apple.AppKit               0x953c57c9 carbonAppWindowHandler + 120

23  com.apple.HIToolbox           0x9158611d DispatchEventToHandlers(EventTargetRec*, OpaqueEventRef*, HandlerCallRec*) + 1181

24  com.apple.HIToolbox           0x9158555b SendEventToEventTargetInternal(OpaqueEventRef*, OpaqueEventTargetRef*, HandlerCallRec*) + 405

25  com.apple.HIToolbox           0x915a1eac SendEventToEventTarget + 52

26  com.apple.HIToolbox           0x915b4088 ToolboxEventDispatcherHandler(OpaqueEventHandlerCallRef*, OpaqueEventRef*, void*) + 1208

27  com.apple.HIToolbox           0x915864d6 DispatchEventToHandlers(EventTargetRec*, OpaqueEventRef*, HandlerCallRec*) + 2134

28  com.apple.HIToolbox           0x9158555b SendEventToEventTargetInternal(OpaqueEventRef*, OpaqueEventTargetRef*, HandlerCallRec*) + 405

29  com.apple.HIToolbox           0x915a1eac SendEventToEventTarget + 52

30  com.apple.HIToolbox           0x9160ea4c ToolboxEventDispatcher + 86

31  com.apple.HIToolbox           0x91661b28 GetOrPeekEvent + 399

32  com.apple.HIToolbox           0x91661931 GetNextEventMatchingMask + 489

33  com.apple.HIToolbox           0x9166160e WNEInternal + 151

34  com.apple.HIToolbox           0x9166156d WaitNextEvent + 54

35  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x001a71cc FMGetEvent(short, XNEventRecord*, unsigned char) + 108

36  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x001a72a3 CFMProApp::GetEvent(EventRecord*) + 51

37  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x0005034b CMacEventPump::Run() + 235

38  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x000337a0 CMacApp::Main() + 112

39  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x001ab715 main + 37

40  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x00002ab2 _start + 216

41  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x000029d9 start + 41

Thread 1:

0   libSystem.B.dylib             0x95854286 mach_msg_trap + 10

1   libSystem.B.dylib             0x9585ba7c mach_msg + 72

2   com.unsanity.ape               0x03f01bb9 __ape_agent + 316

3   libSystem.B.dylib             0x95885155 _pthread_start + 321

4   libSystem.B.dylib             0x95885012 thread_start + 34

Thread 2:

0   libSystem.B.dylib             0x958543a6 mach_wait_until + 10

1   libSystem.B.dylib             0x958cb3ad nanosleep + 314

2   ...filemaker.support.framework 0x00cc8dca Draco::Thread::Sleep(unsigned long) + 170

3   ...filemaker.support.framework 0x00cc8fd3 Draco::TimerCheckThread::Main() + 243

4   ...filemaker.support.framework 0x00cc5bce Draco::Thread::RunThread() + 46

5   ...filemaker.support.framework 0x00cc65a8 Draco::Thread::ThreadUnixProc(void*) + 72

6   libSystem.B.dylib             0x95885155 _pthread_start + 321

7   libSystem.B.dylib             0x95885012 thread_start + 34

• 14. Re: Application crashes/quits when exporting record to PDF
                                    gregl

Ah now this looks interesting!  

Thread 40 crashed the program, but its stack trace isn't within the first 50 lines that you posted, so we can't see from that post what was happening that immediately led to the crash.

In thread 0, it does look like there's some initialization going on dealing with PDF, but it's blocked waiting for something.  This is clearly FileMaker Pro's main thread, and has the main logic of the program and shows evidence of the attempt to "Save as PDF".

Thread 1 suggests that you have APE installed on that machine.   Unsanity Application Enhancer (APE) is a product that loads external code into other programs... this changes the environment where FileMaker Pro is expected to work in ways that FileMaker can't anticipate.  Try doing a Google search on "__ape_agent"

You may want to try again after uninstalling APE and deleting the AdobeFnt08.lst cache.  Also, posting the stack trace of thread 40 can help diagnose the issue too.

1 2 Previous Next