5 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2014 8:57 AM by philmodjunk

Apply current layout’s data formatting to exported data

JohnDee

Title

Apply current layout’s data formatting to exported data

Just verifying that only "number, date, and time data " get carried over. The reason for this is that fm's documentation is, imho, confusing:

"

If necessary, select Apply current layout’s data formatting to exported data to format field data as it appears on the current layout.

FileMaker Pro allows you to format fields on a layout, which makes the data look different on the layout than how it is actually stored in the database file. (For more information, see Formatting and setting up field objects in Layout mode.) Select Apply current layout’s data formatting to exported data when you want to export number, date, and time data using the field formats specified on the current layout. Clear this option to export number, date, and time data exactly as it is stored in the field. (If you’re exporting to DBF format, this option is not available.)"

But aren't date, time and number formats non layout specific and set in the db management? Does it then mean that if I bold and set red on field it's going to export that too IF it is a date?

• 1. Re: Apply current layout’s data formatting to exported data
          philmodjunk

This entry refers to the layout specific data formatting that you can select for such a field on the Inspector's data tab. Numbers can be given currency notation with a fixed number of decimal paces specified. Both date and time fields can be formatted in a large number of different ways. A date field, for example, could be formatted to display a date as: Thursday, May 8, 2014 and you can then export the date in that format instead of 5/8/2014.

• 2. Re: Apply current layout’s data formatting to exported data
            JohnDee

Thanks once again for the fast and excellent response Phil. But I have a follow up: If this is applied via the inspector how do you apply it in table view? Am I right in assuming you cannot and that neither that, nor text formating options in table view will be exported. That kind of cripples table view exports unessecarily (who am I to say, but anyway), it seems... I was expecting at least it could output some colour formats to excel for alternate rows etc. 

You see I am, at this stage of development trying to avoid vb code and xml to import to a formated excel sheet, so it'd be great if the export option could add some minimal formatting, for aesthetics of course, but sometimes aesthetics are half or more of everything, and apple should know that. 

• 3. Re: Apply current layout’s data formatting to exported data
              philmodjunk

If this is applied via the inspector how do you apply it in table view?

I am not a big fan of Table View as a view to use for general users of the database. List View is more work to set up, but gives you more options for producing a view of your data that is tabular like table view, but with features not possible in table view.

But to format a field for table view:

Enter layout mode.

Add the field to the layout.

Select the needed formatting for the field.

Return to Browse mode and if the field is selected as part of the table view, it will show the formatting you just specified for it.

• 4. Re: Apply current layout’s data formatting to exported data
                JohnDee

So, far I too, haven't set any table view available for my users either, so I am really happy that at leat habitually you don't use it either. I guessed list mode was the way to go, but seeing as it is indeed rather more work to set up (as I 've automated it that is, which isn't a lot) I thought I could try my lack with list view. 

Many thanks for the method, I suspected this was what I had to do, but on the other hand it felt forced and convoluted, which I guess it is. 

Would a list view allow me to export more formatting options? I guess not. 

• 5. Re: Apply current layout’s data formatting to exported data
                  philmodjunk

You'll have the same formatting options either way.