2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2015 7:16 PM by starstuff

Are all fields written on the table similar to a spreadsheet?

starstuff

Title

Are all fields written on the table similar to a spreadsheet?

Hi All!

Sorry for this question if its dumb, im wondering if all fields are automatically answered on a table even its not part of a layout?

in spreadsheet, i used to enter all data per field as much as possible to help in filtering data, and make the record uniform

in Filemaker, i learned that you can add calculation fields, these field can be a constant value like "Word"

if i think in terms of spreadsheet, each record on the table would have a field with a value "Word" on it,

so im thinking that, even though the layout does not have a constant value field on it, in the back end it will still add a "Word" on the record?

is that correct?

Thank You!

• 1. Re: Are all fields written on the table similar to a spreadsheet?
          philmodjunk

This is sometimes correct. It depends on the storage options of the calculation field. If it is set as unstored, the field does not evaluate until it is referenced by another calculation or displayed on a layout. Some calculations cannot be defined as "stored" as they reference a global or summary field value. Some other calculations can be defined as stored, but will fail to update properly unless set as unstored--this is the case when the calculation does not refer to a field in the same record such as Get ( CurrentDate ).

If it is a stored calculation or a data field with an auto-entered calculation, then your description is correct. You can have any number of data and (stored) calculation fields hidden away as part of the same record but that are not present on the current layout.