5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2012 7:15 AM by gbdoc

Are FMP files now searchable with Mac's Spotlight?

gbdoc

Title

Are FMP files now searchable with Mac's Spotlight?

I'm still using FMP 8.5, now on Mac OS 10.8, still largely adequate for my purposes. BUT: FM files (content) are not (have never been) searchable with Mac's Spotlight, a major deficiency. I see that FMP 12's file format has been changed. Are FM files now directly (without first exporting to another format) searchable with Spotlight? I'd be happy to upgrade if that were the case. Can't find the answer anywhere, neither the FM site nor anywhere else on the net.

• 1. Re: Are FMP files now searchable with Mac's Spotlight?
          Sorbsbuster

You could download the 30-day trial and try it.  But I would be amazed, and worried, if it did.

• 2. Re: Are FMP files now searchable with Mac's Spotlight?
            gbdoc

Thanx Sorbuster, should've thought of that myself. Your post ("amazed") suggests that you don't think so. But why "worried"? A security issue or somesuch, or simply that since it's not supposed to work, if it did, something (else?) would have to be wrong?

• 3. Re: Are FMP files now searchable with Mac's Spotlight?
              Sorbsbuster

Just a potential security risk.  I write my file to have very strict access privileges at table, record, and field level, so if Joe Blow can simply access the data in any field without having to go through my extensive authentication process, I'd be worried.  I recognise that simply knowing that the entry 'STD Test returned Positive' is in the file may not be much use in itself, but it might be if you could find that  'Alan's STD Test returned Positive' was.

• 4. Re: Are FMP files now searchable with Mac's Spotlight?
                gbdoc

Thanx for the info. The security's not an issue for me, since I keep confidential files (patient records) on an encrypted external drive, only plugged in when I want to access that stuff. Besides, I'm the only Joe Blow on my machine. But I have all kinds of other stuff in FM, like recipes, notes for papers, etc., all of which is non-sensitive.

I'm DL-ing the trial version now (abysmally slow net where I am just now, still 45 min to go!), and I'll get back here with the results.

• 5. Re: Are FMP files now searchable with Mac's Spotlight?
                  gbdoc

No luck. Just tried FMP 12 Trial Version, and the file is still not searchable with Spotlight. The v12 looks really spiffy, and probably has tons of wonderful functions mine doesn't have, but I can get along well enough with v8.5 until either FM or Apple make the FM files searchable with SL. I can't understand why this wouldn't have been true from the beginning, or why it should be so difficult to implement (especially considering that FM and Apple are related), and there must be some valid reason. Still, given how useful SL is, and how it works for all the other apps on my Mac, not being able to use it for FM files is a major frustration for me, and likely for others, as well.