AnsweredAssumed Answered

Assign team with varied responsiblities to project - what's the best way to set up?

Question asked by SeattleSquirrel on Feb 19, 2012
Latest reply on Feb 20, 2012 by philmodjunk

Title

Assign team with varied responsiblities to project - what's the best way to set up?

Hi everyone,

I have a project tracking database set up with Filemaker Pro 11. All projects are a bit different, and I want to figure out the most effective way to assign team members. Currently, the way it's set up, it's very limited - I can only assign 3 people to each project, with one task/responsiblity on each. What I can't wrap my head around is how to do this - I know there has to be a 'best practice' way of setting this up. Does anyone have some insight to share with me?

Here's a rudimentary example of what I want to achieve:

My resources are named Susan, Stan, Simon, Stacy, Stella, Sven and Skylar. (no, not for real! Laughing)

Project 1
Susan = Role(s): Lead and Design and Production

Project 2
Susan = Role(s): Lead
Stan = Role(s): Copywriting
Simon = Role(s): Design and Production

Project 3
Stan = Role(s): Lead and Copywriting
Simon = Role(s): Design
Stella = UX Design and Web Development
Sven = Graphics Production and Web Development
Skylar = Graphics Production

As you can see each person only appears on each project once, but can have many roles. Eech role can appear on multiple people in the same project.

IMPORTANT: At the end of the year I want to pull up Stella's projects and sort them by her roles on the projects.

I don't know why I'm making this so complicated. I am distracted by fields vs value lists, check boxes vs pulldown lists. And most importantly, I'm scared to mess up the database current function by messing around with it too much. All insight is very appreciated!!

Asa Smile

Outcomes