AnsweredAssumed Answered

Assigning Record ID Numbers to Records Imported Without Any

Question asked by evenstreet on Jan 5, 2010
Latest reply on Jan 5, 2010 by mrvodka

Title

Assigning Record ID Numbers to Records Imported Without Any

I'm a novice using Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced, although I had a FM database solution created for me by a developer. I just imported several hundred records into my database without checking to have them assigned ID numbers. All their fields are blank except one. Unfortunately, after I did this, I erringly deleted the csv file that all these came from. 

When I do a Sort by Name, these all come up as the first records alphabetically. I need to either add ID numbers to all these one at a time or export them and re-import them correctly, the latter ideally being the fastest way to correct my error. However, I can't find how to select all records with either no data in a particular field or no ID number. The ID number field for each record is always inoperative (greyed). How can I resolve this problem?

UPDATE:

I just found my own answer. For other novices running into the same problem, what you do is do a Find, enter "=" in the ID field. All the records without an ID number appear.

Then do an Export into csv, which will export all your Found records into a csv file.

Once that's done, you can go to the Records menu and select Delete Found Records. 

Now you can re-import the csv file while making sure that your ID numbers are imported (my solution is programmed to auto-enter the IDs, so long as the auto-enter option is checked when importing, which is what I neglected to do the last time). 

Outcomes