AnsweredAssumed Answered

Associating individual family member records together

Question asked by JaysonPakulak on Aug 24, 2010
Latest reply on Aug 24, 2010 by philmodjunk

Title

Associating individual family member records together

Hi.  I'm new to the forum and relatively new to using FMP 11. I've some experience and tech savvy, but I don't "live" in the world of database design (graphic designer), so I know that this question is most likely a "Database 101" question, but I could really use some help or even direction to good resources even.

I'm setting up a membership database at our church to maintain member/visitor information so we can generate reports, etc. (see included image). What I'm having a difficult time figuring out is how to associate family members together so that I can generate a church directory.  Each person no matter what age has their own record which contains a Family Code (unique to their family) and a Family ID (which is a combo of the Family Code and a unique number from 1-10).

So, how do I "connect the dots" so that I can pull Mom, Dad, and the kids all together when I create a church directory?  I know, I know... this is most likely a "well, duh!" question, but I only work on this in a limited capacity, so I could REALLY use some input/help from you database gurus out there.  Thanks so much!

Picture_1.png

Outcomes