AnsweredAssumed Answered

Assorted Minor Questions

Question asked by JamesPickett on Aug 18, 2012
Latest reply on Aug 18, 2012 by philmodjunk

Title

Assorted Minor Questions

Some minor, unrelated questions that have arisen as I have become more familiar with Filemaker:

Multiple values for a field: For some fields that I want to contain multiple values I use check boxes pulling from a value list, but naturally a drop-down list takes much less space on the layout.  Certain fields almost always contain only a single value, but every once in a while I want them to hold multiple values.  Am I correct that manually entering the data and using a return to add a second (or more) values for the exceptions and using a drop down list for everything else essentially accomplish that goal?

Button to go to a related record: In my database I have various join tables viewed via portals.  For instance, I have a join table that shows relationships between various individuals.  I want to add a button to the table that I can click to jump me to the related record (in some cases within the same layout, in other cases to an entirely new table / layout), but am having trouble getting it to work.  Any tips are appreciated.

Layout formatting:  Is there a way to cut and paste layout styles (i.e. font, formatting, etc.) they way you can in Excel?\

Restricting a value-list pull: Often for drop-down lists I set the field up to pull entry data from a separate table in the database.  (I.e. value liest, "use values from field X".)  Is there a way to restrict / filter the values that appear in the drop down list based on a separate criteria?  I.e. filter based on another field?

Ignore certain kinds of values in a search:  (This I imagine may not actually be a "minor" fix.)  For some of my fields I am entering text data in foreign languages that use short voweling systems.  It is useful to have the short vowels entered in the fields for specificity in some cases, but when I am searching I would rather that the search engine ignores those characters entirely.  For a roughly approximating example, if I enter the word "cow" for entry X, I would like entery X to come up in a search whether I search for "cw" or "cow"; I prefer that the search engine simply ignore character "o".  Is there a way to accomplish this goal without extensive back-end reprogramming?

Outcomes