3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2011 1:55 PM by philmodjunk

attaching a document to a record Filemaker Pro 8.5

SusanRichardson

Title

attaching a document to a record Filemaker Pro 8.5

Could someone please WALK me through the steps of attaching a document (pdf, ms word, excel, etc) to a record. As I understand it you have to use a container field, which I did. And the document did show up, but it will not open. I REALLY, really, REALLY need someone to give me instructions. As in 1. turn on computer, 2. open filemaker pro....not really that simplistic but you get the picture.

I just talked to a support person at fm pro and they said that my version is out of date and they can't help me, but he was sure you could do it in 8.5. He said something about a "button" and a "script", which is WAY  outta my realm of knowledge. (However, I do follow explicit instructions quite well) Thank everyone. Hope someone can help. Susie

• 1. Re: attaching a document to a record Filemaker Pro 8.5
          philmodjunk

What method did you select from the insert menu to insert the file? Did you use Insert File?

Did you choose "store a refrence" (check box in the open file dialog box) when you inserted it?

If you inserted the file by reference, you can double click the container field to open it.

If you did not, you can click the field and use export field contents to export the file and specify that the file automatically open when you do so.

• 2. Re: attaching a document to a record Filemaker Pro 8.5
            SusanRichardson

Wow, you're a prince. Thanks for the quick response. I had not checked the 'store a reference'box. I did. And it opened beautifully when I double clicked the container box. Now, another question. Is there any way I can get more than one document into a container field? For instance, I have a container field labeled 'references', but this person has more than two documents with references. How would I do that? Also, how would I email someone one of the container field documents? Thanks, Susie

• 3. Re: attaching a document to a record Filemaker Pro 8.5
              philmodjunk

You can only put one document (or reference to it) in a given container field, but you can set up a related table for your documents with one container field in each record. Then you can place a portal to this related table on your layout and insert as many documents as you need simply by adding new records in the portal.

Also, if you haven't done so, look up container fields in FileMaker help. Store by reference is great, but you need to understand its strengths and weaknesses so that you don't develop something that works great on your personal machine and then fails miserably when you try to host it over a network or publish it to the web.