2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2010 2:20 PM by BobFlowers

Attaching files or documents to contacts

juliegeng

Title

Attaching files or documents to contacts

I need an easy way to attach and view multiple unique files that are attached to contacts. Each of my contacts has at least 2-3 documents that must be easily attachable and also easily viewable and previewable. Right now, once a file is attached, it's very awkward to view it and see individual pages. There must be an easier way to do this, am I missing something? I am using FileMaker 10.

I am a relatively new user and my trial just ran out so at this point I need to know how possible this is before I purchase FileMaker. 

Thanks! 

• 1. Re: Attaching files or documents to contacts
          philmodjunk

Assuming your documents are PDF files or files that can be opened by an application installed on each user's computer...

Create a container field and place it on your layout.

Use Insert | File... to insert the file and choose the "by reference" option at the bottom of the dialog where you select the file to insert.

The file to be inserted should be on a drive that is mounted by all users if this is a shared solution over the LAN.

If you double click the container field, the file will open on your computer.

Since you want to attach a number of such documents, create a related table where each record contains one such container field and display these related records in a portal.

• 2. Re: Attaching files or documents to contacts
            BobFlowers

"if this is a shared solution over the LAN"

Want to access via iPad......included in db....???