8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2009 1:25 PM by ninja

Attaching information to users

nolak37

Title

Attaching information to users

Is there a way to attach information to user accounts?

When I create an account for a user Id like to attach that pertons information such as address, Phone Number, Etc. This info is located on a table.

Account:             Type:           Privilage set:

Jason Bourne      FileMaker       Doctor

TABLE

Doctor ID    1

Name          Jason Bourne

Address       1123 My street

Phone          555-555-1234

Practice ID   123456789

Or if there is another way to do this that would help as well.

When a doctor sees a patient they create a new record in the office visit table. On this table I have a field for Doctor ID, this lets me know which doctor saw the patient. 

Right now i have a script to insert current user which does the trick however i also need the Practice ID and that isnt inserted.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Attaching information to users
          philmodjunk

If your two tables are related by Doctor ID, then you should be able to simply place the Practice ID field from the Doctor table on your Office Visit layout.

• 2. Re: Attaching information to users
            mark_d2x

Yoshi,

I have done something similar for my database;

in your main table create your field - DOCTOR

Then create a new table, _doctor with the fields you need such as name address etc

You can then go back to the DOCTOR field in your main table, then finish setting it up; double click then go to validation - check the member of value list, manage value lists, create a new value list using the first field of the _doctor table.

That's the look-up done, next you need to create a relationship between DOCTOR and _doctor::name fields - then anything in the other fields, such as practice id are now related.  

In your layout you can add text to pull the fields from that relationship to display any of the other fields in the _doctor table. 

eg <<_doctor::GMC_NUMBER>>

Hope that hasn't confused you more!

Mark 

• 3. Re: Attaching information to users
              ninja

Two folks in the same field sharing what they've learned...I love to see it.

But one little hitch...

Mark_d2x wrote:

next you need to create a relationship between DOCTOR and _doctor::name fields 

Linking by name has a weakness.  Link by DoctorID# instead...Lotsa doctors, so few names...what if two have the same name?

Then make your value list based on Doctor::doctorID, showing only data from Doctor::Name...everything else stays the same.

• 4. Re: Attaching information to users
                mark_d2x

Quite correct, 

It isn't too bad if there is a only a few , it is when you have 7 Dr Jones,  other than giving each doctor a unique id they use its is nigh on impossible to do anythign remotely easy, in some places i have worked they have used the first 3 digits of the surname and the first of the forename hence JONP for Peter Jones, unfortunately if you get Paul Jones its the same!  -- Doh!

Fortunately,  for me the main docs don't change too often (and are limited)!  I have just used their full names.

The cog in the works is this; I have a similar problem with hospital codes - in the UK each one has a unique identifier - they are all in a spreadsheet - I could use that to create a lookup but the drop down would be huge! Ok  autocomplete would be better but with >3000 hospitals its a bit of a tall order.

;-)

Ninja, what I love is how many medics are now starting to see Filemaker as a solution; in my experience it is powerful both for getting data in (process driven)  and jut as powerful getting data out in the reporting.  My biggest stumbling block has been (and still is) validation by calculation - i just don't seem to be able to get it into this skull of mine...

eg; if x y z f g h = yes then a = no

Guess what - i have about 70 validations to write - eg if either  x y or z is yes then M has to be 2, but only i.....  etc

My head hurts.....

Can I pay someone to do this ;-) 

Mark 

• 5. Re: Attaching information to users
                  philmodjunk

One solution for searching large tables of information is to script a search from one or more global fields.

You enter some text and trigger the search script. The script pulls up all records matching your search text. If there's just one match, the relevant key value is entered to make a valid relational link to that one record. If there are multiple matches, pop up a list of the matches with additional data fields and let the user select a record from this list by clicking one. Clicking one, of course, enter the key value from that record to establish the link.

• 6. Re: Attaching information to users
                    comment_1

Mark_d2x wrote:
                    My biggest stumbling block has been (and still is) validation by calculation - i just don't seem to be able to get it into this skull of mine...

eg; if x y z f g h = yes then a = no

I don't understand what that means: it could be x = "yes" OR y = "yes", etc. or it could mean x = "yes" AND y = "yes", etc. or something else altogether. Also, validation will not do then a = "no" - validation checks if a condition is true and if not, it kicks up a message.

But perhaps you should start your own thread for this.

• 7. Re: Attaching information to users
                      nolak37

Mark_d2x

Thanks for the input, Its really great to know someone has done the same thing before and they are willing to help out. Ill try this out.

• 8. Re: Attaching information to users
                        ninja

Mark_d2x wrote:

My head hurts.....

Can I pay someone to do this ;-) 

Yep.  Many of them on this board...;)