7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2012 11:25 AM by schamblee

Attachment Not Opening in Container

FKonopatski

Title

Attachment Not Opening in Container

Good morning again!  I am using the "Tasks" Starter Solution in FMP 12 and I notice that when I attach a file in the container, I can't open it.  I tried a word document as well as pdf and I'm using the starter solution out of the box with no customizations yet.  I'm comparing it against another database I created and I can't seem to notice what is different.  I'm sure it is something small, but I can't seem to find it.

I appreciate if anyone can point out why the attached documents can't be opened.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Attachment Not Opening in Container
          philmodjunk

It depends on the optimization options selected for the container field on your layout and the details of how it was inserted into the container field.

If you use Insert File with the "store a reference" option enabled and insert into a field not optimized for interactive content, you should be able to open the file by double clicking it.

On the other hand, any file in any container field in FileMaker 12 can be opened with the export field contents command or script step if you select the check box to automatically open the file after exporting it. This is also true for FileMaker 11 and older versions except for inserted objects (a windows only option.)

• 2. Re: Attachment Not Opening in Container
            davidanders

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10245/kw/Container%20fields%20Drag%20and%20Drop

<SNIP>

Working with PDF files
                 Keep in mind when working with PDF files in interactive containers:

•           Windows: Be sure that a web browser plug-in (such as Adobe Reader) is installed on your local computer. If it is not installed, Insert menu > PDF will not be available.
            •      
            •           You can scroll through the pages of a PDF and zoom in and out of a PDF.
            •      
            •           You can copy, paste, and delete a PDF file in an interactive container; and copy text from the document. For more information, see below.
            •      
            •           When a PDF file is selected in an interactive container, some keyboard shortcuts may work differently. For example, you cannot press Ctrl+L (Windows) or Command-L (Mac OS) to switch to Layout mode. You cannot press Ctrl+Shift+D (Windows) or Command-Shift-D (Mac OS) to display the Manage Database dialog box.

To copy text from a PDF file in an interactive container:
            •      
            •           

•                     Windows: Click the PDF file to select it. Then select the text to copy and press Ctrl+C.
              •                
              •                     Mac OS: Click the PDF file to select it. Then select the text to copy and press Command-C. Or, choose Edit menu > Copy Text.

To paste copied text, select an area outside of the field and choose Edit menu > Paste. Or, press Ctrl+V (Windows) or Command-V (Mac OS).
              •           

• 3. Re: Attachment Not Opening in Container
              FKonopatski

PhilModJunk,

This is a starter solution template that I haven't changed anything with.  It appears to be a container with an add attachment4 script that inserts the file into the container.  That function, as well as the delete attachment script, works without any issue.  However, you should be able to double click the attachment to open it and it doesn't work.  If it works on your computer than it must be a computer issue and not a FMP12 issue since it was a starter solution with no changes yet.

I appreciate the help!

• 4. Re: Attachment Not Opening in Container
                philmodjunk

Which template?

What method was used to insert the file and with which options?

What optimization option was specified for that container field on the starter solution's layout?

The fact that this is a starter solution does not change my comments on what details control whether or not a double click can open the file or whether you need to use export field contents instead.

• 5. Re: Attachment Not Opening in Container
                  schamblee

The container is not a interactive container by default.  I changed it to an interactive container and still didn't work in portal.  I move the Container out of the portal and it worked, moved back to portal and it stops working.  This may be a bug.  Insert PDF is available outside of portal and is not available in portal. FM12 on Windows 7 Pro.

• 6. Re: Attachment Not Opening in Container
                    philmodjunk

Interactive optimization for container fields does not work inside a portal. This is a known and documented limitation to this option for container fields.

• 7. Re: Attachment Not Opening in Container
                      schamblee

Thanks phil.  That the answer to the problem.