1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 14, 2011 9:11 AM by philmodjunk

Attempting to install Server Client on Windows XP

AndrewClarkson

Title

Attempting to install Server Client on Windows XP

Hi,

Not sure if what I am doing is correct - but I've bought Filemaker Server 11 and attemping to install it on a client computer. When the installer starts, it asks if I would like to install Server or Client.

I'm not familiar with server as this is my first big Filemaker project - but do I need to install filemaker 11 on every computer, or can I just use the client part of the server install? I need to run a database in kiosk mode, that I have already created.

When I try to install the server client on Windows XP it gives an error that it "cannot be installed on this version of windows", so I'm not sure where to go from here, as I don't want to buy more copies of Filemaker unless I really need to.

I'd really appreciate any help! Thanks!

• 1. Re: Attempting to install Server Client on Windows XP
          philmodjunk

Server "client"? Never heard of that one. I'm using Server 10 here and never saw that install option.

Unless you limit your users to just using web browsers to access a database published to the web, you need to install FileMaker Pro on each work station. That, as far as I know, requires a separate installer and you'll need either a volume license install or separate install codes for each workstation.