1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 17, 2009 4:11 PM by philmodjunk

Attendance Book Design in FileMaker Pro

hardy1nc_1

Title

Attendance Book Design in FileMaker Pro

I am trying to create an attendance book for my classes and am not having much success.  I can create a solution where I browse through each student's info card (record) and check in a portal their status for the day.  I would like to be able to utilize this in a spreadsheet layout like using Microsoft Excel, however, I do not want to create a form with all the students names in the class.  I want to have a student database and assign them to the class.

Can someone send me a recommendation on how to design/implement this solution?  I don't need explicit details, just the rough idea on how to organize it.

Thanks... 

• 1. Re: Attendance Book Design in FileMaker Pro
          philmodjunk

Create a layout set to display a list view or table view of your data. It'll look and function very much like a spreadsheet. To limit the list to all the student records in a given class, You can use a variety of (methods, Find, go to related record....) to pull up a found set of just those student records that  belong to a specified class.

With Filemaker Pro 10, You can actually put a drop down menu listing all your classes in the header of this layout and create a script trigger for it that pulls up and sorts all student records matching your selection--a very nice way to do this that I've wanted for years and years and can now do.