1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 21, 2015 6:48 AM by philmodjunk

Auto Adding Lines in a Layout / adjusting to filled lines only.

DionilsySoto

Title

Auto Adding Lines in a Layout / adjusting to filled lines only.

Hi,

I am a Old User just evaluating to go back to new version 14.

How can I make a Layout in which the form is not fixed in size, I would like to control how big it is

Let say I have a 10 Lines layout form like an invoice, But I need to fill only 4 lines, Ii would like the form to be small up to these 4 lines only, and not print such a big empty form. I want to adjust the form to the lines that I need to fill not to print empty lines

Any help will be appreciated.

Sample_Layout.JPG

• 1. Re: Auto Adding Lines in a Layout / adjusting to filled lines only.
          philmodjunk

Looks like you have repeating fields here. First step is to get rid of them. For a typical invoicing solution, use a portal to a related table of "line items"--also called "invoice data" in the starter solutions.

This allows you to add rows in the portal as needed--which adds records in a related table.

To print the invoice, you then bring up a found set of these portal records on a list view layout with fields from the Invoice record included as needed in header, footer and/or grand summary layout parts.

The typical data model--which is used in the invoice starter solution, but with different field names that comes with FileMaker looks like this:

Invoice----<InvoiceData>-----Products

Invoice::__pkInvoiceID = InvoiceData::_fkInvoiceID
          Products::__pkProductID = InvoiceData::_fkProductID

For an explanation of the notation that I am using, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained