AnsweredAssumed Answered

Auto Assignment Help Needed

Question asked by ScottyJ on Feb 10, 2010
Latest reply on Feb 12, 2010 by ScottyJ

Title

Auto Assignment Help Needed

Here's my problem.  I work for a university housing department.  We need the ability to allow the computer to do room assignments in college residence halls based on the preferences of the applicant.  For example, say we have a student who does not smoke, prefers her room quiet, and generally keeps her room clean.  Her building preferences are 1st: Smith Hall and 2nd: Hudson Hall.  Now, multiply her by 1200 potential incoming residents to be assigned to 9 residence halls.  We don't want to have to sort through a stack of candidates, find a match on preferences and then manually assign her and her new roommate to a room.  We want to be able to upload all of the preferences of all 1200 students into a FileMaker system, click a button, and let it go to work matching roommates and plugging them into room spaces.  I can design the whole database quite easily.  It's just that key feature of letting FileMaker do the assignment to room process so we don't have to spend days sorting and plugging in 1200 people.  Any suggestions on a way to approach this challenge would be greatly appreciated.

Outcomes