3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2014 2:33 PM by Claire_2

Auto Complete - almost there...

Claire_2

Title

Auto Complete - almost there...

Hi,

We have two tables, one main called "Payroll" and the second "Invoices".

In the payroll table I would like to select the invoice number using a dropdown, and in doing so, this populates specific fields with their corresponding invoice information. Then there are fields I manually enter data into based on the invoice information, for an accounts report.

eg Invoice 2, is for company B, with a total of $xx, a tax of $xx etc. When I choose invoice 2, company B, total $xx etc. autofill.

We can't see how to configure the autofill.

These are our steps so far

1. Manage external data sources > new > add file 'invoices'

2. Manage > database > relationships. Screen shot attached.

3. Create fields. Using one field created for the payroll table called "total" as an example, in Layout Mode, specify field > options > Looked Up value > Starting with Table : Payroll, Lookup from Related Table : Invoices 2, Copy Value from field : Grand Total.

4. Inspector > Data > Field > Display data from Payroll::Total

control style : Drop-down list

values from : total. second screen shot attached.

Where are we going wrong? We've read this onerously and it's unclear where the error is.

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/d4fc772159

Cheers

Screen_Shot_2014-04-22_at_11.49.47_AM.png

• 1. Re: Auto Complete - almost there...
          Claire_2
          /files/2ef92feb94/Screen_Shot_2014-04-22_at_11.57.17_AM.png 819x464
          • 2. Re: Auto Complete - almost there...
            philmodjunk

1. Manage external data sources > new > add file 'invoices'

While this is the correct way to link to a table from another file, your design would be simpler if you kept both tables in the same file.

2. Manage > database > relationships. Screen shot attached.

From the screen shot, you have way too many match fields. From what you describe in your post, you should only need to link Invoices to payroll by a single pair of fields, not 5 fields in invoice matched to 5 fields in payroll. What you show makes no sense.

The incorrect relationship will then keep the rest of what you have attempted to set up from working.

What does "factura ID" mean? Does it identify a specific record in Invoices or a specific record in payroll? What I see in your screen shot indicates that it is the Unique ID for each record in Invoices, but if this is not the case, then you have an additional issue with your basic design.

Question: How many records in Invoices should be linked to a given record in Payroll? How many records in Payroll should be linked to a given record in Invoices. What you describe is a "one to one" relationship where there is no more than one record in Invoices linked to no more than one record in Payroll. Are you sure that this is really the case here?

• 3. Re: Auto Complete - almost there...
              Claire_2

Hi Phil, I've corrected the relationships & it's working perfectly.

Thank you!