7 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2010 9:55 AM by bablahemen

AUTO COMPLETE FIELD

NOLAK

Title

AUTO COMPLETE FIELD

HELLO EVERYONE,

IM NEW TO FMP AND WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP.

I HAVE A TEXT FIELD ON A TABLE WHERE THE USER TYPES IN THE NAME OF A PRODUCT (NAME OF MOVIE) AND POSSIBLE OPTIONS APPEAR AS THE USER IS TYPING.

EXAMPLE:

AS THE USER TYPES:  P R I

POSSIBLE OPTIONS WOULD DISPLAY: PRIMER, PRINCESS DIARIES, PRINCE OF TIDES, etc.

THEN THE USER CAN SELECT THE OPTION OR JUST KEEP TYPING THE NAME OF THE MOVIE IF ITS NOT ALREADY THERE.

I KNOW THERE IS AN OPTION FOR AUTOCOMPLETE USING PREVIOUSLY ENTERED VALUES AND WHAT IM LOOKING FOR IS SIMILAR BUT INSTEAD OF PREVIOUSLY ENTERED VALUES I NEED VALUES FROM A RELATED TABLE, AND WOULD LIKE THE OPTIONS TO APPEAR IN SOMETHING LIKE A DROPDOWN LIKE WHEN YOU DO A SEARCH IN GOOGLE OR IN A BROWSER.

IM SURE THIS IS POSSIBLE BECAUSE IVE SEEN IT DONE JUST NOT SURE HOW.

ANYTHING POINTING ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION HELPS.

THANKS

• 1. Re: AUTO COMPLETE FIELD
          ninja

Howdy Nolak,

You really like capital letters...a lot.

Your field would be formatted on the layout as a drop down, based on a value list, using autocomplete.

Value list:

Define your value list based on the other table's field.  No problem doing this.  Manage>Value Lists...select the proper field.

Drop down:

Modify the field setup from "Edit Box" to "Dropdown..."

While you're there, check the box for autocomplete using value list (name the value list you made above).

And you're good to go.

Let us know how it works for you.

• 2. Re: AUTO COMPLETE FIELD
            philmodjunk

Do you want to display all values from the related table or just those that match some value in the current record?

Both options are possible.

To show all values in the related table (or even an unrelated table).

Open Manage | Value Lists...

Create a new value list

Click the specify field button

Select your table

Click the field that holds the values you want to highlight them

If you want to filter the values to just a subset based on data entered in another field, describe the two tables, their relationship and how your layout is set up and we can show how to do that as well.

PS. posting text on line that's in all caps is generally perceived by the reader as being "shouted at". :smileywink:

• 3. Re: AUTO COMPLETE FIELD
              NOLAK

ok, ill get rid of the caps then, lol

thanks for the help seems the problem is solved, i had tried this before but made the mistake of checking include arrow which didnt show the dropdown options.

one more thing though, I have a list in excel with all the options i want in the list (serial number and name of movie), instead of going to the layout for the movies and entering one record at a timeis there a way to copy the entire excel file or a copy paste option.

the list is extremely long (over 1000 options and a serial number per option)

• 4. Re: AUTO COMPLETE FIELD
                NOLAK
                   oh by the way, i saw in the help files that you can drag the file into the FMP10 icon on my mac and tried that however it creates a new DB, and what i want to do is import that into my existing DB into a specific table already created.
                • 5. Re: AUTO COMPLETE FIELD
                  philmodjunk
                     Make a back up copy of your database, then select Import Records from the file menu. One of your options will be to import from an excel file. This tool has a lot of options, so it's a good idea to read up on it in the help system before using. (The back up copy lets you throw out your current copy and start over if you make a mistake here.)
                  • 6. Re: AUTO COMPLETE FIELD
                    NOLAK

OK,

thanks PhilModJunk

you have been extremely helpfull

• 7. Re: AUTO COMPLETE FIELD
                      bablahemen

Hi, i have a dought on FM 11 PRO that how to get the auto complete or how would it work if you publish to Web. in Web unless u dont submit the value is not entered. what changes to be done to reflect the fields. Like if i enter any product id in the field and press tab it should give me the complete details in the repected fields.

Please update me.

Regards.