4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2014 9:23 AM by philmodjunk

Auto enter calculation update

PeterMontague

Title

Auto enter calculation update

I want use an auto enter calculation.I want to use this to update a number field every time a calculation field changes. Will this work? Are there instances when it will not work?

• 1. Re: Auto enter calculation update
          philmodjunk

A long as the calculation references that calculation field in some way and both fields are in the same record and you have cleared the "do not replace existing value..." check box, the field will update just like a stored calculation field does. But if all of those conditions are not met, the field will not update.

• 2. Re: Auto enter calculation update
            philmodjunk

Peter, if you are reading my replies via email, please check the forum for my corrected response to your question.

• 3. Re: Auto enter calculation update
              PeterMontague

Thanks Phil. The fields are both in the same record. I have Inventory::quantity which is a calculation field. And I have Inventory::quantity alternative which is a number field. I use the quantity alternative field because I can search it more easily and works more quickly for exporting my records for feeds. 

My auto enter calculation is:

Case (Inventory::quantity < 0 ; 0 ; Inventory::quantity)

The "do not replace existing value" checkbox is unchecked. But it is not updating when the quantity changes. Is it because the Inventory::quantity calculation references another table?

• 4. Re: Auto enter calculation update
                philmodjunk

Probably.

You may need to go with either an unstored calculation field or a script updated number field. (the script updated option requires that a script update the value in this field with each and every event that possibly changes the total required in this field. That may be simple or very difficult to do.)