1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 2, 2012 11:00 AM by philmodjunk

Auto Enter Data Based On Another Field

RichardAdams

Title

Auto Enter Data Based On Another Field

So, I am transitioning from an excel spreadsheet, and there was stuff we tracked on multiple spreadsheets, and I am consolidating it into multiple tables.

We have 300 people, and I have a "family" table where each person can be assigned to a family.

Is there a way to initially set a person's family as their last name? I know I will have to go through and clean some up (differentiating different Smith families, etc), but it will save a ton of time to initially set it, because probably 90%+ will simple be the person's last name.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Auto Enter Data Based On Another Field
          philmodjunk

Sounds like you need two different relationships between People and Family--one to initially link a record by last name and one to link by serial Id field defined in Family. The first gives you an initial match that you can then review and correct on a case by case basis.

People::LastName = FamilyByName::FamilyName

People::_fkFamilyID = FamilyByID::__pkFamilyID

FamilyByName and FamilyByID would be two different table occurrences (boxes in manage | database | relationships) with the same data source table.