4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2013 12:54 AM by TomVassie

Auto Enter Data in a relationship

TomVassie

Title

Auto Enter Data in a relationship

Hi Everyone, 

Im fairly new to Filemaker and could do with a little help please.

I'm setting out a simple form with fields from a couple of related tables and some from the table the form is bassed on.

all fields have auto-enter date which shows what the field is when creating a new record for example, "first name" field has "first name" as auto-enter data.

My problem is, only the fields from the table the from is bassed on display the auto-entered data when i start a new record?

Could anyone help please?

• 1. Re: Auto Enter Data in a relationship
          RickWhitelaw

If no new records are created in the related child tables then nothing will be displayed from them in your layout.

• 2. Re: Auto Enter Data in a relationship
            TomVassie

Hey Rick, 

Thanks for the response. I can see what you mean, as i enter data into the first field from the child table all the auto-entered data appears...

Is there a way around this? if not i can just put a lable above each field, but i was trying to make it look a little less "busy"

• 3. Re: Auto Enter Data in a relationship
              RickWhitelaw

The question is whether all parent records actually DO  need data from the child tables. A simple example: a contacts table related to a table, let's say Mobile Phone. If a contact doesn't have a mobile phone, then of course the mobile phone number field from the child table will be empty on your layout based on the parent, or contacts table.

I would like to elaborate, but typing on this forum is just too frustrating. I give up.

• 4. Re: Auto Enter Data in a relationship
                TomVassie

Yes looking at it that way, it makes total scenes, and of course if the field is unused then it would have the auto entered data left there unless its deleted or removed with a calculation or similar.

I will use labels I think. 

Thanks for your help.